_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Weathering figures in city setting
Foxy
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 220 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 10:41 PM UTC
Hello guys,

since I'm doing a group of german Fallschirmjägers passing by through a street in the undestroyed Rotterdam in 1940, I wonder how you are weathering/dirty your uniforms on figures with such a theme.

I thought of appliying a little pigment dust in earth colors on the knees, ellbows and boots. Do you think that might be reasonable in such a setting?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 11:06 PM UTC
Unless he's been in combat recently, I'd keep weathering to a minimum, no more that MAYBE a littel dust at the cuffs and boots. If there aren't operations being carried out, I'd suspect his commanding officer or sergeant would expect him to have a pretty clean uniform.
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 367 posts
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2006 - 12:36 AM UTC
With Para's it can go either way though. Usually you only carry what you jumped with, so it wouldnt be unreasonable to expect this would be the only uniform that soldier has, and that he may be eating, working and sleeping in it. While I agree that the uniform would probably be cleaner out of operations that in the heat of battle, I would say a bit of dus around the knees or elbows would look fine.
BigJon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2006 - 03:54 PM UTC
Given that the uniform has been pretty much lived in, most of the weathering can be done by adjusting the tone of the uniform at the painting stage.

A fresh uniform would have fresh strong colour, but depending on where that para has been, by the time he reaches the relative cleanliness of a town his uniform could have been bleached in hot sun, smeared with mud or soaked through daily...
Foxy
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 220 posts
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2006 - 03:56 PM UTC
thx for your comments.
i already thought about the same myself, but just wanted to receive a second opinion.

_GOTOTOP