_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AFV Painting Classes pt 2 Basecoat
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 08:06 PM UTC
Hawkeye brings us the second part of his Base coat class. Questions and comments are encouraged. Thanks Hawkeye.

Base Coating a model

At this stage it is important to have a picture of your finished model in your mind. This allows the modeller to choose what base coat to use that will help with the later stages of painting. For the Arette, I am going to use Tamiya’s Black Green. This will make it easier to apply light coats, of NATO Green later on, to give the impression of worn and sun faded paint work.

As with the red oxide on the Sdkfz, I use a mix of fifty/fifty, paint to thinners. There are two ways to approach base coating, one is depicted in Picture One

What I have done here is called Pre Shading and I have only painted the Black Green on the panel lines and in recessed areas. This allows for the creation of shadows and dirt before the topcoat has been painted. However I do not like this method and prefer to paint the whole vehicle in the darker base colour In picture two you can still see some of the primer, this is deliberate.

As with the Primer, I spray several thin coats of paint to avoid paint build up and runs. The quick drying times of Acryllic paint really help at this stage. When you have finished base coating your AFV, it should look something like Picture Three. The aim is to produce an even covering over all the areas you want.

The same procedure is used on the Sdkfz. On this vehicle I have used Xtracrylix Afrika Korps Sand Grey(XA1809). The paint to thinners ratio is nearer 60/40 in favour of the thinners as I have found Xtracrylix to need more thinners than Tamiya paints when air brushed. This is the only drawback to this brand of paint, if it can be called a draw back, and when dry it has a satiny finish, looks very impressive.

Base coating an AFV is a simple process, but just as at any stage of the finishing process, if you do not take care to avoid paint build up, runs etc, you can ruin a perfectly good model. The best “rules” to keep in mind here are, take your time, and understand how base coating can affect the later stages of painting.

Hawkeye
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 11:41 PM UTC
Bump
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 12:16 AM UTC
Great job Hawkeye. Straight to the point with lots of pics. I now know what pre-shading is.. :-) :-)

What is the next installment in the series?

capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 03:11 AM UTC
Great stuff. The only other comment I would make is that I lighten my base coat a little bit because when I have finished my weathering, it can come out a little darker than I want. I am still a 'little heavy' with my paint brush!!!
capnjock
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 701 posts
Armorama: 640 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 10:11 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments buys, it is appreciated.

CapnJock, the reason i have not lightened the base coat, is that i think that will be covered in part three of this, although i do not know who will be handling that.

Regards from the Swamp

Hawkeye
 _GOTOTOP