Hosted by Darren Baker
M48 Dozer - OBG campaign
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 813 posts
Armorama: 522 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 06:36 PM UTC
Here she is, finally, thanks to all for the help, more details in the Official thread.
Comments and critiques always welcome
Regards
Joker

Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 08:16 PM UTC
LOOKING GOOD!
what dozer did you use? academy's? or scratchbuild? and what modifications did you do? how did you attach the dozer-construction to the M48 hull (since this one is rounded)?

Hope I make sense (not always the case )

Again; great job!

Mark
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 08:28 PM UTC
Peter

Nice work! After hearing about it yesterday it's nice to see it. Great work!! And the dozer blade did work out well.

Jim
Mark
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 02:06 AM UTC
Gary,
do you have any idea what the differences are between the M8A1 dozer and M8A3 dozer?
I found these two pics (once) of a M8A1 and I would like to do a M48 dozer (some day )

Mark
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 04:57 AM UTC
Guess I'll wade in here to clarify some details.
Initially I was going to use the same pictures that Mark posted until I realized that the tank in question was an earlier version (an A1?) and I was not about to rebuild the rear deck. I remembered seeing a photo in an old version of Squadrons, "Armor in Vietnam" by Jim Mesko, on page 42 and sure enough ( or at least to my eyes, the tank in the picure was a later model an A3?) so I was good to go.
I asked around and although no one could provide photos I was assured that A3's had the hyraulic s running down the underside of the hull.Very recently I found a photo that showed a really good shot of the rear deck and the placement of the hydraulics on the right hand side of the deck and the hosing going under the hull as per the M60. ( check my gallery for the photo)) So that's the way I built it. Gary, your very right in stating the blade is for the M60 but I figured it would be close enough. (BTW , really liked your solution to the T-62 hull, I 'll be giving that a try)
Someone also pointed out that the model did not show the nose down position as was the case with the real tank...bad choice of photos on my part. One of the things I liked about the real vehicle was that nose down postion made it look like it was all business. The additional weight of the blade compressed the front suspension dramatically, must have been a pig to drive! Guess they fixed the problem with the M60.
As always thanks to all and thanks for all your kind words and critiques.
Regards
Joker

Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 06:01 AM UTC
Hi Gary,
maybe this will help, sometimes Kitmaker does that....
Pete
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 06:27 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments, I got carried away with the A3 photo in the Squadron book and it wasn't until later I discovered ( or looked closer) that there was infact no resevoir on rthe right rear...go figure.
I did find a IDF M60 that had an identical set up (or so it seems) to the photo so I used that to reference the model...kind of
Thanks for the input
Pete
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 06:54 AM UTC
I really like the way you have the front end lowered to simulate weight from the blade.
Mark
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 03:55 PM UTC
Regardless whether it’s completely correct or not (I myself am no ‘rivetcounter’) it is a very nice model and to me an inspiration to give the M48dozer combination a try!

Ps the front ‘sag’ (not sure if this is correct but I guess you know what I mean), as the result of the dozerblade, came out great!

Congratulations on this one

Kind regards
Mark
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 783 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 05:42 PM UTC
nice tank..you were right about the lowered front end..it means business alright and good looking too.

one question..does the hydrolics on the dozer blade still in used with the recent M60? the academy kit doesn't have the extra parts on the rear.
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 06:02 PM UTC
Hi,
As far as I know, the blade layout, hydaulics, resavoir position are the same, go over to Tanksheaven and look through their gallery, someone built a really nice M60 and blade, lots of pics
regards
Peter
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 06:23 PM UTC
Beautiful build Peter. Looks very realistic. The tracks look much too loose for an M48/60 tanks. I think the M48A5 blade tanks we had in the Guard had the hydraulic hoses threaded through a hole in the rear fender. The position of your hoses would prevent the grill doors from opening up. They would run between the sprocket and the sand shield (the curved inner fender extension). Regardless, it is still a great job.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 05:26 AM UTC
The M48A3 Blade Tank looks great. Good job.

Quoted Text

The M728 has all it's plumbing on the inside.

I thought the M728 still had the hoses coming out the back and running under the left side of the hull to the blade up front. Wasn't it just the hydraulic reservoir and pump that was moved inside the hull.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 05:35 AM UTC
No the CEV had the plumbing in the hull next to the driver, where ammo storage in a regular gun tank was.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 06:13 AM UTC
Thanks Rob. Guess I need to take the external lines off mine then.
 _GOTOTOP