_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
British Infantry Question
squeakyclean
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 11:43 PM UTC
Help! I'm currently working on a diorama project showing a Cromwell from the 7th Armoured and support infantry in the Caen area of Normandy 1944. Any reference to Infantry fighting alongside the 7th Armoured is listed as 50th Infantry Division or the elusive 131st (Lorried) Rifle Brigade.

My question is: Do any of you know of any other Infantry units who would have fought alongside the 7th and/or what would the shoulder flash be for the 131st? I can't find anything on the 'net or in my library!

Cheers guys

Matt
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 12:10 AM UTC
131st Infantry Brigade (1/5, 1/6 and 1/7 battalions, Queens Royal Regiment) were the lorried infantry component of the 7th Armoured Div. in Normandy and therefore would have worn the same red jerboa div flash. The 1st battalion The Rifle Brigade formed the motorized infantry element of the divisions 22nd Armoured Brigade. In November the 1/6 and 1/7 were replaced by the 2nd Devonshire and 9th DLI from the disbanded 50th Div.

I've also read the 7th Armoured were suported by the 56th (independant) Infantry Brigade in the days immediately following the invasion. (source, British Tanks in Normandy by Ludovic Fortin, Histoire & Collections)
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 01:49 AM UTC
Hi Matt,

Here's a link to the history of the 7 Armd Div, you should find some useful stuff there.

http://www.btinternet.com/~ian.a.paterson/main.htm

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 01:54 AM UTC
Hi Matt,

Here's another link showing the breakdown of the British and Commonwealth Forces involved in the landings.

http://www.dday-overlord.com/fepgbeng.htm

Once you decide on which Infantry Unit you might like to use, just do a google on it and see what comes up,.

Cheers

Al
squeakyclean
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 12:44 PM UTC
Many thanks you guys, I was getting a bit bogged down with information! Things are a lot clearer now.

On with the figures!

Matt
 _GOTOTOP