some 0,4mm nails again
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 05:50 AM UTC
Ola

Some of you might remember my post about making nails from scratch. Well I've bought some better copper wire and wanted to test it, so I made this:

Just four boards stuck together with some nails to test the whole look. Each plank is 1cm wide, each nail is 0,4mm in diameter (the heads are slightly bigger).Everything textured with some sand, rocks, brushes.
I will make a bigger 10cm x 10cm floor using similar techniques so your comments are really helpful:)
Hope you like it

Cheers,
dsc.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 06:44 AM UTC
Wow now that's attention to detail!!
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 01:42 PM UTC
Gday Tommyboy!
These are looking fine for scale...
Is this for your medieval tower?
One thing though~ Should the nailheads be countersunk more than they currently are? Or flush with the surface?
The timber texture looks bonzer to me
Cheers mate
Brad
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 03:51 PM UTC
Overall a very good technique and it's nicely executed.
You photography skills give us a fantastic view of the nails. That may be why I picked up on the first image (because it's so close). The nails aren't flat, they are pointy (where the snips cut through).
If they look good at natural distances then I'd leave them. If you can notice it when viewing from a 1 or 2 feet then I would cut them a bit long and file them down flat.

The boards are great and very natural.
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 1,735 posts
Armorama: 586 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 06:03 AM UTC
Nice choice on the wood Tom as the grain looks good for 1/35. Its not balsa is it?

Nails look pretty good and at a normal viewing distance should probably look about right. Thanks for sharing.
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2006 - 01:59 AM UTC
Ola

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I really appreciate it:)

Alan: thank for your reply mate:) It's the details that make a piece:)

Bradleyboy:) yeah I think you are right, some of these nails are a bit high, I will have to push them in with a dental tool, but that is not a problem. Two or three of these nails are bent, so they are suppose to be not flat. The timber is really easy to make:)

Scott: yup, I agree I will make the nails at the same level as the floor, so they are nailed even (their heads are flat, but they are nailed at an angle, that's why it may seem that they are pointy). If it's needed I can write a short "How to" for the site.

CK: yup it's balsa:)

Cheers everyone,
dsc.

_GOTOTOP