_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
My Berlin Dio finished- exer
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 03:32 PM UTC
I've finished my dio or at least got it to the stage where we need to be seperated for at least six months
Working on it made me realise a couple of things. The first is that if Iwant to include so many figures I need to work on my figure painting techniques and the other is that a digital camera is an essential tool to show mistakes and flaws during a build.

more photos in my gallery
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 03:58 PM UTC
Hi Pat. As I said before ... great dio and a text book example.Composition, different levels, layout, story, it has it all. The scratched base my personal fav part.

Quoted Text

Working on it made me realise a couple of things. The first is that if Iwant to include so many figures I need to work on my figure painting techniques and the other is that a digital camera is an essential tool to show mistakes and flaws during a build.

The digital camera has indeed become the modellers best friend. What appears quite realistic to the naked eye, does not always come across as true in enlarged images. One learns to paint for the camera instead, and it does improve skills, especially thinning paint first as thick paint just looks ugly in close-ups, and also defining different colours. But going over the top to get a true camera friendly figure can lead to an unrealistic effect to the naked eye, which is not totally desirable either.
As well as getting an extra critic from your own images, its nice to share and get support, tips and critic from fellow modellers which hopefully always pushes one to go that step further.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 04:03 PM UTC
Well said. Best thing about this - your skills got better and you learned.

The diorama is great.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 07:31 PM UTC
Great job. I too noticed that a digital camera reveals all!! I don't know how many times I'll see a gap, missing paint or unsanded piece in a photo when I think I'm done
WingTzun
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 853 posts
Armorama: 515 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 07:36 PM UTC
Very Nice Pat. I like the way your dio forshadows all the pictures of the Russian leaders watching their military parades. Think you'll make any chages in 6 months??
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 12:37 AM UTC
Thanks everyone, Yes it was a real learning curve and I'm determined to work on my figure painting skills.

Quoted Text

Think you'll make any chages in 6 months??

What I would like to do is put a lot more figs in. The dio was loosely based on this photo

I'd add more german prisoners and a more Russians on the upper level
 _GOTOTOP