australian history and gelatine
aljenau
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 06:42 PM UTC
Hi to all on this forum.

I am making a series of dioramas showing life in early Australia (Richmond, Tasmania) and starting up an interpretation centre in the town.
For those interested have a look at http://www.whitepage.com.au/richmondtasmania

Sorry, not much armour needed!

Also any ideas on the use of gelatine for water features?
It seems great after a bit of experimentation but I'm not sure how long it will last, what will happen on a hot day or whether it might go mouldy.
Anyone ever used it before?
It sets really clear with a rubbery texture and seems ideal. But...?

Thanks all

Alan
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 07:12 PM UTC
Gday Al
Got the thermals handy down there?!
Welcome aboard the site also... Stay a while...stay forever!!
Lived in Tassie for a couple of years oh about 26 years ago... Remember Richmond vaguely (I was 4-5)
As for the gelatine, I'd say no way jose...
Is your aim to model clear water? Just what quantity would you need? There are a few products on the market, most based around model railway supplies for layouts. You can use clear resin which is mixed with an accelerator and probably sets the best...( I think resin, cockroaches and Cher are the only three things to survive a nuclear holocaust)...but I'm far from an expert in this field. Try doing a search on the site under 'modelling water' or similar.
There are many here who will jump on this post to help you, who have used the various products and will be able to help better or steer you in the right direction...
And before no time, Richmond Tasmania will be a marshalling station for panzers... :-)
Cheers
Brad
aljenau
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2006 - 05:27 AM UTC
Hi Brad, I have been experimenting with the gelatin and have found it seems to make an very clear water with good texture. I have sprayed varnish over the top to protect it and keep it easier to clean. Someone said you can't use food products in dioramas but what about those that use oregano and other herbs as scatter?
Panzers in Richmond? Not too historically accurate but imagine the convicts if they had them (maybe steam powered though. LOL)
Alan
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, June 05, 2006 - 03:13 PM UTC
Don't know the history side of it. But as far as using gelitan - hmmm - brings up a few ideas and thoughts.
The problem with food is the moisture in it. Over time it will evaporate or break down. The moisture and sugars in it (if any?) give 'creatures' something to eat.

If you've sealed the top and it lasts that's a good sign. I would make sure that you also seal the bottom prior to pouring the gelitan. You need to make sure that it's air tight and sealed all around.
 _GOTOTOP