_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Rusting for Afrika?
musicwerks
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 335 posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 08:40 AM UTC
HI all,

I am modelling a Tamiya Panzer IV, Afrika Korps.

a) I have seen some moellers putting in nice rust on bare metal for tanks operating in Africa theater and sure looks cool...but is it correct? since it so dry in desert....just to ask some opinons b4 I rush into my rust weathering...

b) For washing, what are the oil colors commonly used for Afika Korps..I heard somewhere (I think Tony Greenland book ) that burnt sennia looks good on Afika Tanks

Thks.

Rgds
Music

ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 02:56 PM UTC
Exposed metal will still rust in desert conditions. There is a substantial difference between day and night temperatures. This results in moisture in the form of condensation, therefore light rust can form which could eventually build up is some areas.
musicwerks
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 335 posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 09:22 PM UTC
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, it makes great sense now that they should rust .

alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
Armorama: 264 posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 09:40 PM UTC
I think you should be careful with the tracks!

They are permanently "sanded" so there won't be too much rust on them...

cheers

Steffen
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 12:28 AM UTC
I would be careful with rusting your model at all.

Its something thats overdone by many modelers today. (I have been guilty of this in the past) I think we have all seen the fantastically weathered model that looks like its been sitting in a scrap yard for ten years.

The crews took good care of their equipment and any rusting would be very subtle and like Geoff said "light rusting". Plus tanks didn't last very long in may cases to get too weathered.

Good luck!

Jeff
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 12:44 AM UTC
In the Book Mig FAQ, which despite my concerns over the price has turned out to be a superb and complete explanation albeit in mainly pictorial format of the techniques that he has added to the modellers [auto-censored]nal over the past few years and in respect of rust in the desert he puts forward an interesting fact regarding the formation of rust. Although moisture is normally considered in the formation of rust, it is in fact caused by oxidation, which therefore means that as this is the action of the oxygen in the air that we breath it means that this will see rust form in whatever environment we take machinery too. I suppose that as damp climates produce faster rusting that you would not see the same extent in a such a short timescale. However in the first Gulf War, were there not reports of rain, snow, hail and mud in some of the written reports, so it is probably up to the individual as to how much rust is seen on your project.

I hope this does not cause any discontent and as I am not a scientist I do not know the actual working of metals rusting.

Regards,

John
 _GOTOTOP