_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Small Scale
Dioramas of subjects smallers than 1/32 scale.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sneak Peak almost done with a diorama
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 06:30 PM UTC
Well I haven't been sitting around much doing nothing. Here is a diorama I'm trying to finish up. Thought I'd toss it out there and see what you think.
Still left to do: figures (3), final unifying pastel coat, edges need to be blackened, looks like the kubel seats need a wash.

PMP
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 88 posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 07:02 PM UTC
its very pretty.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 07:28 PM UTC
Hey Scott it looks good. Is the building scratched or is it commercially available?

One thing I am going to comment on is the color of the Kubel in the overall color scheme. Personally, I would probably paint it dark yellow because right now you have a grey kubel, on a grey street, next to a blue/grey building with a grey roof. Too much grey in my opinion and the kubel is kind of lost in the mix. Just my opinion.

Other than that I like it all.
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 07:34 PM UTC
Ola Scott

I think you've got a very nice looking diorama over there mate! The tree looks realistic and the whole scene is not overdone (well atleast not now, we will see how it looks when the figures come). I would use some washes on the building though, as the steps look a bit to greyish, beige elements around the windows are a bit too bright and I would try to do something about that blue color which looks a bit too...hmmm well it looks unnatural to see smth so blue:)
Overall the composition is ok and after the figures come it should look even better:)

Keep up the good work mate!

Cheers,
dsc.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 08:09 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments.

The building is VLS - CD - Build review soon.

Martin - good point on the kubel color. Should have considered it earlier. Not sure if I will repaint. (serious thought though).
Tom - The blue isn't quite as blue as it appears in the photos. LIght bulbs are killing the color. The trim does come off very bright (again lighting). I will tone it down with some pastel work.
DUBDUBS
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 624 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 08:44 PM UTC
what is that green blob on the tank?
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 08:46 PM UTC
The green blob is the lower 1/2 of a figure. He has his right leg raised in a climbing position.
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 08:51 PM UTC
Hi Slodder,

Nice layout, and good job on the ambush pattern. The Kubel bothers me a bit. If it is a Grey survivor, then it would be pretty beat up paint wise, not factory fresh. Who's kit is it? Beleive it or not the different kits available represent different years of production! If you can find one, the Modelers Guide to the Kubelwagen by Joe Porter is fab.

Keep us posted!
generalrazo
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 312 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 09:25 PM UTC
I agree with sticky, weather the Kubel a bit more...even a wash would help, it's fairly monotone right now.

Also, I think if you take some MIG pigments or pastels and dust them dry on the edge of the road near the mud it would aid in blending. Heavy rains would cause some of the mud to puddle on the edges of the road way, especially if there was poor drainage. Some dusted powders in this area would look very nice. Also dust them around that small mud "island" in the middle of the road.

I like the house and the shrubs look very realistic. I also like the earth near the Hetzer, nice variation there.

Should make a very nice overall scene once the figs come into play. What will be going on in this one, ie, what will the figures be doing?

Keep us posted,
Cheers,
E
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 09:25 PM UTC
Hi Scott,
Your diorama looks very nice. The building has fitted there and nice detailing with green foliage in front of it.
The ambush pattern looks awesome. I agree the idea with Kubel's color, not only to give a different color to diorama but to be also a late production vehicle, it would fit thr ambush pattern, too. Anyway it looks nice in grey, too.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 09:35 PM UTC
Well, there's tons more work to do on the Kubel. I do appreciate the feedback.

The kubel is Bandi's 1/48th scale. The figures are also Bandi. Not 100% sure of the figures, they are in odd poses. I think some type of cleaning repair work on the Hetzer.
I'm going to go with a dry ground, just chewed up. So the pastels will be hitting it soon, i'll make sure I blend in the edges of the road.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 10:39 PM UTC
I like it, what is the story line?
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 03:24 PM UTC
Story line - hmm - have to be honest, I didn't start with one. I made it up as I went.
The Hetzer has taken up a position to protect the intersection. The soldiers will be cleaning/repairing the TD. Nothing really specific.
Title - maybe "Getting Ready", "Places Everyone", "Keeping Busy".
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 03:38 PM UTC
Hi Scott,
Looks like it is going to be another winner mate.Is it possible if you can take a couple of side view shots of the dio?I like your trees alot,any chance of letting us know how you made 'em?
Cheers,Shay
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 04:24 PM UTC
Shay - will do on the photos.
The tree is twisted wire. Then I applied squadron putty for bark. The base canopy is WS lichen. The leaves are crushed parsley. A few key points on the tree - I like to keep open areas of the canopy to see through it. One the lichen is glued on (with white glue), I paint visible stalks with brown to make them more bark like. I use spray glue very lightly sprayed from about 12-15 inches so it doesn't go on heavy. I crushed the parsley to downsize it (1/48th) and to give it variations.
Parks20
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 737 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 10:43 PM UTC
Wow, great job Scott. I would never have known it wasn't 1/35th if it wasn't mentioned. I think if you address the issues that the others brought up, this will turn out great.
 _GOTOTOP