_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
mig jimenez technique
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 01:30 PM UTC
I saw in Verlindens book Dioaramas 6 (?) Mig doing a famo. It shows pictures of him applying oil in dots then blending. What does this do? What colours are used and do you blend "dry" or add thinner then blend? Any help appreciated. Any sites with his techniques other than track link?
moville
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 01:44 PM UTC
http://www.missing-lynx.com/rareworld.htm

thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 08:08 AM UTC
I use this tecnique alot ..I love it ...What I do is use lots of different colors ...black ,raw umber,burnt umber ,raw sienna(or is that burnt sienna) yellow ochre,and white ..what you do is take a fine tip brush and place little drops of pure oil paint on the horizontal sides of your kit ....You then take a flat brush and dip it in thinner (I use lighter fluid ..it gets rid of the glossy finish of oils)you the wipe the brush on a cloth leaving the brush just damp...you then brush from the top moving down towards the bottom of your kit following the natural lines of the kit ...(what I mean is go where you think rain would go if it were falling on the real vehicle) You will see the lines going down streaking your kit like what rain does with dirt and grime on a real machine....If it is still too pronounce go over it again ...remember to wipe your brush off with every stroke ....This really can change the look of a model ...You can see the effect on my famo in the Rivet forum on page 8 if you want to see what it looks like ...
If you have any other questions about this tecnique I'll gladly try to help ...If I can ...

Richard ....Sorry for the long post!!
Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 652 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 08:39 AM UTC
I mentioned MIG techniques some posts ago. I can thoroughly recommend them. He also has started his own line of products, very Verlinden like...
He produces pigments and extra details for the Sdkfz 7 and Pzkpfw IV.
Send me a pm for further details if required.
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 11:54 AM UTC
For a slightly different technique that gets the same results, check out Adam Wilders Article at Missing-Links. It is a huge article with excellent step-by-step intsruction.
Andrew

_GOTOTOP