_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
comments on Verlindens T-62 turret?
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 03:02 AM UTC
Hey all,

I just picked up (as a really good deal) verlindens distroyed T-62 conversion. Any comments on the turret? Also, after looking at Garys T-62, I know that ive got some fixing to do with the wheel spacing.

So, im wondering...did verlinden get it right with this set (engine deck, turret, etc), or did they just copy taymia parts?

Thanks for any advice..
Andy
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 07:40 PM UTC
Ah Gary, you are so positive about the Tamiya kit (No, no , I know where you are coming from...just teasing a bit... )

I think, like Gary said, what makes you happy? If you do not care as much about accuracy (at least not enough to follow in his footsteps) then the Verlinden conversion will be ok for you...I would concentrate on doing a great paint-job.

If you want a accurate T-62, well...

Hey Gary, now that you finished that fabulous T-62, where is the Tamiya announcment of a new mold kit? I thought that is how it worked? :-)
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 05:12 AM UTC
thanks for the input..im new to the russian armor thing (got hooked after building trumpeters SAM-6..now I have 3 T-72 kits, and some mini-arm conversions on the way).

As for the T-62, that is pretty much what I expected, and why I got it for cheap, as I talked the guy down after some banter about verlindens "legacy" of using the kit as a reference, and recasting the thing in resin.

Anyway, im going to make it distroyed anyway, so the whole thing will be pretty banged up...and will probally go in a dio with some Israeli tank passing by, or maybe an Abrams...

But, I do have AMS, so im currious about the wheel spacing...is it off enough to mess with...I want it to look like a T-62..not some half breed. As for the turret, I will probally just use the one in the verlinden set, unless run across the CMD one for cheap somewhere. Shoot, maybe I could just make my own turret...cant be that hard to make a dome shape out of epoxy putty or something over a former.

Suggest any references?

Thanks
Andy
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 05:25 AM UTC
Actually, the turret is too small for the Tamiya kit. Even though the T-62 kit is out of scale, the turret could have at least been made in proportion to it. I've used three different resin turrets and the Verlinden one is the worst of the bunch.
The instructions would have you fill in the scooped out portions on top of the turret ring armor extensions-the first clue that the turret is not wide enough to cover them. Best best is to model it completely blown off. Then the problem won't be nearly as noticeable.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 02:18 AM UTC
Yeah, Gary is going to be your guy if you want to go totally AMS on this kit.
 _GOTOTOP