_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
masking help!
spcsmith
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 05:25 AM UTC
what are some good masking products to use for detail? I've been using masking tape and it has been a real nightmare. Any tips will be helpful. Thanks

David
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 06:14 AM UTC
For small details such as canopy rails on aircraft I use a liquid masking film product. Its a laytex that you spray on. then when it dries you cut out the areas where you want the paint. I've used this on aircraft frame rails and it worked nicely
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 07:56 AM UTC
I have used micro mask and Tamiya 6mm marking tape.

Mask the edges and than put the micro mask in the middle or do as the above post suggests put it on and gently cut out around the edges.

Cliff
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 08:47 AM UTC
Masking fluid works well, so do a wide number of masking tapes.
When you select a tape, it needs 2 important qualities :
1) it must seal off properly : no loose edges that allow paint to seep under.
2) you must be able to remove it without destroying the structure or the layer of paint under the tape.

The broad plastic tapes that are used to seal cardboard boxes are perfect for the first condition, but hurt the paint underneath when removing. The sticky part of post-it notes are excellent for qualtiy 2, but sometimes paint creeps under it.

As always (modelers guideline number 1 !) try your materials and techniques on an innocent object before you try them on a model. A pint of sweat saves you a gallon of blood !

Jan
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 02:34 PM UTC
My masking is done mostly with masking tape. If I need to mask a small area I will first stick the tape to a mirror then use a straight edge and knife and cut strips anywhere from 1mm to 3mm depending on the application. The length depends on what I need. I use these and mask of the detail. I will usually use these to get the edge and then do large covering from the strip on with regular tape. So its a strip or two in the nooks and cranies then regular tape from then on.
Another method is liquid mask as previously mentioned. Great stuff, most any hobby shop will have it. I have not looked at any craft stores in the US, but Hungates, Hobby Town USA etc all have it. Use as the others have mentioned.
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 454 posts
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2003 - 04:31 AM UTC
Tamiya masking tape is great!, Micromark sells someliquid mask I have used. its ok. Parafilm M, I have tried with little success
 _GOTOTOP