_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
DML Panther A. Anyone finished theirs yet??
Deacon
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 08:42 AM UTC
I just picked up one and would like to know a few tweaks for this kit. It sure looks like it will build up into a decent model right out of the box.

Was Zimmerit on all Panthers in the Normandy area?

Thanks
Deacon
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 12:18 PM UTC
I have heard people say that they have found a couple of pictures of non zimmerited (maybe early A's)Panthers in Normandy but.... I would have to say that most "A"s with ball machine gun mount should be done with good old zimmerit unless you have a picture to prove otherwise.

Richard
moville
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 01:34 PM UTC
I finished the early A. It was a very easy build. The only tricky part is attaching the top of the hull to the lower chassis...It kind of involves a sliding in of the front part and snapping in of the back end if I remember correctly. This task would have been a lot easier if I didn't apply zimmerit first. I used the Eduard zoom set for the grills--equally nice. Overall an awesome kit with a right price. I intend to get the D and Late A sometime in the future. I think you'll probably have to go with zimmerit with a Normandy panther though. Enjoy the kit, it's a beauty!

stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 04:44 PM UTC
the quick fix for the tricky sponson bottoms is after you fitt the tracks, glue the hull bottoms to the lower hull and then attach the upper hull, i did it this way on all three of my dml panthers and it work great. the ball turret on the late a, has i seem across the top, but it went away with sanding only, no filler. squadron/ signal's panther in action has a couple picsa of late a without zimmeritt, but thet wer in italy and southern france, so i would assume that they may have been at normandy, but i doubt it. if you do decide to add zimmerit to your A, i wouldn't worry about the seem on the ball turret. good hunting stug
 _GOTOTOP