Hosted by Darren Baker
Lost inspiration see photo's
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 07:09 PM UTC
I have kind of lost inspiration at this point. You see here, my burned/bombed out house ruin for my Carentan project. As you can see the second floor and the walls are pretty much set. I have furniture built and weathered appropriately to add to the second floor. I got a bit ahead of myself on this build. The original floor plan for the first floor can't work as I had planned. I am at a loss as where to go at this point. I need new fresh ideas concerning the first floor layout. I need to come up with some kind of idea as to how to split the room up and finish it off quickly. I guess I am just having modelers block!

This last photo is the space that needs to be finished off keeping with the second floor damage.

A little more explaination:
What I am trying to figure out. In the film BOB's the opening sequence of the film you see this building from behind damaged. In a later scene you see the same exact building from the front untarnished until a bazooka man blows out the front wall. I want to stay in keeping with this lesser damage to the lower floor. My original plan was to make it a kitchen. Now I am not sure what I want to do with it. I guess I am having a creative block of sorts. My block exisits due to the fact there are two doorways, one in the front, and one at the side. They are fairly close together, in the film this worked OK as in the film you never could see the interior. The building was used in the film for different shots and sequences to double as a different building. So the floor plan for my dio must make sence to the viewers eye and at this point it does not do that with the two door ways. I must come up with a realistic floor plan in a very small area.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 07:29 PM UTC
Hi Paul,

i am a bit lossed what your concern and problem is.
Can you give us the original plan and what does not work anymore, so we can see what your primary idea was and maybe develop from there on.

But maybe it's just me and others can help directly

Cheers

Claude

roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 08:44 PM UTC
Basically two doors so close together are not a problem when one is leading to the street and the other one to a terrasse or small garden. This garden could be behind a wall also, separating it from the street, so to explain that you really need to pass the kitchen to go in the garden.

SlapHead
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 291 posts
Armorama: 184 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 08:45 PM UTC
Looks set up for a shadow box, with light from the windows ??

JAT

Alasdair
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 09:36 PM UTC
If the 1st floor is an entry room I would add a bench type piece of furniture for guests to sit on to remove boots, a coat rack, maybe a small couch, artwork, small side table. You can put coats laying around scattered from the blast.
Put some furniture with it's back facing the view to create a 'traffic flow' from door to door.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 02:10 AM UTC
Paul, I would say that given theres a side door that this is a part of the house that would lead to a garden therefore it would be logical to have this as a kitchen area. Front doors always lead to a hall and the "best" parts of the house kept for visitors. I'd equip it with the usual kitchen accoutrements ie auger, cupboards etc. That way you'll fill the space and create quite an interesting scene. You could even have an MG42 team over the sink...lol. Seriously though I'd go for a kitchen.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 02:36 AM UTC
What about a shop, or cafe on the ground floor?
Such places often have two (or more) entrances, and they give plenty of scope for interior detail, or lack of..

Shop.

This would possibly the most tricky one, as you would need a fair few items like storage cabinets, displays and a counter. The biggest problem might be to fill it with stock, although that would depend on the kind of shop. Or maybe a barber shop? Just a few chairs and a table or so..

Cafe.

Counter along one wall, and a few benches and tables. Easier as not so much stock required. Bottles etc are readily available as aftermarket items...

Stunning work on that first floor (or second floor as you call it across the pond.. :-) ) by the way. Don't give up on this one, it's to good to abandon.

Cheers
Henk
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 02:59 AM UTC
I have to agree with Henk on this one - if you are relating this to the B.O.B. in any way, then, the bazooka shot bldg. was I believe, some kind of shop [ tho not revealed in the series ].
This would call for organized - disorginization, pick your retailer and cover the floor with sundries, maybe a shelf or two.
I'll make you a glass display case type thingie if you want, and you could think - tramp steamer [ Marconi room, bridge etc ] and suggest some printables ?
Something I might be able to incorporate in my build.
Don't want to be too foward and ask for your tel. # but call me and we'll talk. 1-609-971-7970, anytime before couch time [ 9pm ].
Whatever you do don't 86 it, it's too good to put on hold and has too much potential.
Never throw anything away.
Cheyenne
Parks20
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 737 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 04:20 AM UTC
Hey Paul,
I think you have some good suggestions so far, like Ken, steps are the first thing I thought of. But I also like the ideas about a shop of some sort. But, how about if you make the hole in the floor a bit larger, then you can add a bunch of rubble on the first floor. Since the one door is directly under the hole, all of the rubble would settle in that area. Maybe you can kind of hide the second door, or convert it into a window? Not seeing the entire building, Im not sure if that will work but I thought I'd throw it out there. Good luck, and don't worry, you will come up with something. We all get a little creative blockage every once in a while.
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 03:20 PM UTC
Thanks guys for your responses' and encouraging words, I do appreciate them!

It is so hard to describe what I wanted, I am not the best with words. However, I did get the clue in some of these posts. I guess what I was really looking for was a European style floor plan (the biggest difficulty is not knowing the European styles for floor plans in the 40's) with the two doors so close together. As mentioned in a couple of the posts, it would be acceptable to have a foyer in the front of the house, so it is conceiveable that there could be a kitchen right behind a wall. I have a Verlinden kitchen set that will for the most part get used then. It is really a small space to work with so I hope I can squeeze in a wall, and a stove. If it will fit, my new plan should work out...

The second door doesn't open to the garden, but it is towards the rear of the house where I plan on doing a laundry scene, clothes line in the back yard. If the kitchen doesn't work could I set the washing machine inside the backdoor? Vent it out the side through the chimney? It is the Plus Models field laundry kit.... Again, thanks a lot for the support!

Cheyenne - Hmmmm.... Maybe I can work in that freighter somewhere! LOL's... I will be in touch, I was told you are in need of some high end printables.... I am good on furniture for now, but thanks for the offer...

Paul
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 05:39 PM UTC
Ah, you are seeing the light again ! :-)

If the kitchen does not work, you certainly can do a full inside laundry room.
Here are two pics i found for laundry rooms and one kitchen view

http://www.wissen.swr.de/warum_chemie/seife/themenseiten/t3/images_content/004401_4y.jpg

http://www.ch-corbie.fr/html/body_buanderie.htm

http://www.fotosammlung-boeckenhoff.raesfeld.de/Bilder/0601_0900/06_666.jpg/view

Cheers
Claude

nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 06:54 PM UTC
Thank you Claude these will be most useful!
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 06:37 PM UTC
Hi Paul,

Try this one.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.travelfactfile.com/france/riviera/old.cannes/shop-baker.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.travelfactfile.com/france/riviera/old.cannes/apartment.rental.php&h=225&w=300&sz=12&tbnid=YC83Di1P7DCVXM:&tbnh=83&tbnw=111&hl=en&start=2&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dinside%2Bfrance%2Bshop%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DX

If it doesn't work, go to google and type in 'inside France shop' in images.

Scroll down and towards the botton you get some images that might help.

Cheers

Al
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 07:14 PM UTC
Alan and Claude those are most inspirational! It has given me hope and cured my "block" ! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I'm off to see what can be done...
afromon_11
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 01:41 AM UTC
Maybe you could set the house in an artillery observation point position. You could have a few men spotting up top wtith there gear, and some soldiers guarding the main floor, the soldiers could be sprawled out on the furnitures to portray a non- urgent felling. Maybe they parked there willys jeep outside???
Just my thoughts.......

Cheers
John
WingTzun
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 853 posts
Armorama: 515 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 08:39 AM UTC
Paul, I still see some possibilities with the door as is , to a garden etc. like everyone has said or maybe a service door to an alley or gang way. If worse came to pass you could cut/round out the second door way and make it a blast whole. It looks too good and has to much potential to give up on. Good luck with what you decide.
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 04:41 PM UTC
Thank you everyone. I appreciate the support and the ideas. I have settled on the laundry work area. The area was too small to be a kitchen with a stove. I have since added interior walls creating a back room. These walls have been made in plaster and lath, broken up for the continuation of the destruction. It is coming along nicely now. This week at work will be a humdinger, but if I have energy left when I get home in the evenings I will try to further my efforts and reveal them to you in photo's. The interior walls have created an enteryway for the home which makes much more sence to the overall lay out. If interested take a look at the first two links Claude sent, this will give you the idea of what I am trying to accomplish.
 _GOTOTOP