_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Operation Club Med: Tamiya Quad Tractor
emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 09:12 PM UTC
Hi All!

I'm joining Operation Club Med with a Tamiya Quad Gun Tractor, belonging to the British 8th Army during the North African Campaign. The Tamiya Box as it is on my workbench:

Inside there are 3 normal sprues, 1 clear parts sprue and decals for a Canadian and British Quad Tractor. These vehicles were apparently used for multiple purposes, but the main purpose for this version is towing an artillery piece together with an ammo cart and its crew. The vehicle itself is something in between a cargo truck and a minivan.

The Tamiya kit is old school, with little amounts of detail, but fitting together nicely. There aren't flashes or defects visible in the sprues. Construction is rather straightforward, many of the pieces are assembled in sub assemblies and then come together. The completion of the running gear and chassis need a little attention, this is where about 4 sub assemblies are put together (the engine, front and rear axles and the chassis with the shafts). Other than that, it is easy with a little patience. Here's the model during the construction of the chassis:

v

This is what is under the beast:

Easy to build if you carefully follow the instructions.

The interior is rather simple, with only 6 seats, a simplified panel and shiftsticks. Nothing worth any attention...

I will paint the chassis with the interior separately from the cab. Putting them together is easy as the cab sits directly on top of the chassis. Here's the tricky part: The "nose" of the tractor is made up of separate pieces and they offer different shapes, sand them, bend them, somewhat there's no perfect fit. The worst part is clearly appearant in this picture (I just put on the cab for show, it is not glued):

Let's see what happens...

After I'm done with the tractor, I plan to build a British 25 Pounder Gun from Tamiya and attach it to this fella...
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 943 posts
Armorama: 825 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 10:33 PM UTC
Hi Emre

Im thinking of doing the exact same for the Club Med campaign thanks for the heads up on the build and the flaws of the kit. Your info will be very valuable once i start mine.
Please keep us posted on progress

Ian
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 11:23 PM UTC
Hi Emre,

Looks like a good build, very nice. I think the front of the vehicle looks good regarding the fitting problems (suprisingly for an old-school Tamiya kit).
Mmm British WW2 armour... very tempting when I see your pictures... Must look in my stock and perhaps I join the club Med too...

Keep us posted with your progress!

Paul
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 06:52 PM UTC
Alright. Good to see someone else with a good start on the project. You have a big jump on the construction. Were you planning on putting this in a diorama?
My only question is it looks as if the right front tire is not touching? Is it just the reflection, or am I really getting old?
A lot of time to go and if your adding a 25pdr maybe a gun inplacement in the desert would look great.
Looking good so far, will keep a lookout for more.

Bob
emroglan
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2006 - 04:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My only question is it looks as if the right front tire is not touching? Is it just the reflection, or am I really getting old?

Bob

It's a reflection trick, happens everytime I take a picture of something over glass, in some cases models look like they are "flying". I should put a piece of paper or something, I always forget that.
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Armorama: 526 posts
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2006 - 04:47 PM UTC
Hi Emroglan,

nice quad do have going here... Looking forward to seeing it finished. Just wondering, whil the quad be "on his own" or will it be on a little vignette (with other vehicles/guns)?

Cheers,

Harm
emroglan
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 19, 2006 - 10:10 PM UTC
I'm planning to build a British 25 pounder as a first step, so the Quad will have something to tow. Then some sand could come up, then something else, a vignette, a diorama perhaps?

But the first priority is finishing the Quad safe and sound. I have a Fw-190 and an M-113 waiting in the line for other campaigns, I should get going
 _GOTOTOP