KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 335 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 06:45 AM UTC
Dear all,

I have a old verlinden "Trobuk pit"....

http://www.verlinden-productions.com/vp_htm_0001_0600/0116.html

Which theatre if war is good for this

a) Normandy or Afrika Korps?

I was thinking of getting putting it with my Afrika Korps Panzer IV (short turret) but I am just not sure if the setting in is right.....

Anyone, any ideas for this diorama....fresh ideas welcome

Music
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 367 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 10:08 AM UTC
Not a big expert on the bunkers, but I would say it would be correct to put it with Africa Corps units. Tobruk was the site of a battle in North Africa, so logically I would assume the Tobruk pit would get its name from being build in or around Tobruk.....but logic isnt always the case so anyone who knows for sure, please add in.
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 878 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 12:15 PM UTC
Hi
The Tobruk Pit ws seen as part of the defenses on the beaches at Normandy, so a Normandy dio would be appropriate. I'm not sure what the bunkers looked like in Afrika...

Cheers

Simon
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 12:21 PM UTC
Hi, I used that product twice and I have one more piece for an other diorama.
As I searched for it I learned that that bunker was "invented" in Tobruk but less used there. In the European theater of the war they were seen especially at Normandy. I think that would fit perfectly to a Normandy beac diorama.
musicwerks
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 335 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 03:45 PM UTC
hi guys,

Yeah, I heard about the Trobuk story once from someone too.....inspired in Trobuk made and used elsewhere...

Got any pics of these Trobuks in Normandy for reference?

Thanks....

Music in Trobuk
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 07:00 PM UTC
For info on bunkers you can go throught these sites. Seem to have a lot of info.

AxisHistory
Saint-Malo

For ideas, they were used just about everywhere, any place they thought they needed a little more protection. Road crossings, check points, Bridges, Rivers, Hills, city streets. Some just MG pits some with Tank Turrets mounted, some mortar pits. The chances are that as long as you don't put it in some kind of depression your ok.

Have fun,
Bob
afromon_11
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 10:56 PM UTC
I have actually used this kit in one of my previous works. I set the bunker in the middle of a large piece of wood and built a ring of defensive trenches around it, the bunker is supposed to be a first aid post drop off in my setting. However im sure you think of your own ideas.
Just my thoughts.....
Cheers
John

ps: ill take some pictures and post them in the thread if i i have time
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 11:50 PM UTC
Hi Lester,

I've just been discussing Tobruk pits with someone.

Here's a link to the bunker site that might help.

http://www.bunkersite.com/

Don't know for sure but I would say you could use it in basically any theatre of war where defensive positions had been established.

Cheers

Al
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 02:09 AM UTC
Tobruk pits were used all over the Atlantikwall. As far as I know it's the most build standard design bunker, the Regelbau 58c.

It was build seperately, or in anti-tank walls, bunkers, trenches etc. It was equipped with a machinegun, sometimes on a special mount. There are also tobruk versions with a light - medium mortar, flamethrowers, and even with tank turrets and KwK anti-tank guns.

You could find it in the dunes and on the beaches as well as inland in the defensive lines protecting the bunkers in the dunes for an attack from behind. They are also build in more inland bunker complexes which the allies encountered in 1944-45. I guess you could find them in most of the build bunker strongpoints.

It was a simple, easy to build desing and it could be used for observation as well as strongpoint.

Hope this helps,
Martin
 _GOTOTOP