_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Big Green Monster
beepboop
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 05:42 PM UTC
Hi

Long-time-no-post for me, I'm afraid. Haven't had too much time for modelling, so the Trumpter KV-1 was a the ideal kit; you just shake the box and out comes the finished model! I've got a KV-2 kicking around and I'm really looking forward to it. Although I've just started DML's PzKpfw IV E so it might be years until I finish that! Any comments and suggestions very welcome!

WARLORD
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 1,923 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 05:55 PM UTC
You shaked too strongly because part of left fender fall off :-)
I love your tracks. They look like real ones and the rest nice too.
KV1 is on my next to buy list but firt I'm must finish U-boot and at least start Dragon's Sherman II.
beepboop
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 06:11 PM UTC
I really do reccommend the KV series kits from Trumpter, Warlord. They seem to have squared the circle of making a detailed kit that is very, very easy to build.

I built this one totally OOTB, and the only thing that I think really does merit improvement is the engine grilles on the back deck - they would really benefit from being PE - although getting the complex curved shape right would be pretty difficult.

I've boosted the size of these shots by using Flickr instead of Kitmaker as host - for some reason whenever i link my images from Kitmaker, they come out really small. They never used to. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 08:51 PM UTC
Hi Beepboop!
I manage to post big photos from KitMaker.net by just deleting
"/medium" from the bbcode line with the photo adress.

BTW: Very nice KV you have there, looks migty realistic!
Ripped off mudguard looks a bit odd, but maybe its just me.
I've built the KV some time ago and loved absolutely every
minute of it and definitely will build more of them

Cheers
Pedro
WHaT
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 10:27 PM UTC
Very nice weathering although one thing that bugs me is how would that mudguard piece get knocked off like that ,shell or something im guessing?
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 10:56 PM UTC
Wow…stunning! Just stunning. I’m so amazed at your weathering and detail work, the paint scratching alone is an A+. What takes the prize for me are those tow cables, I have to say that those are the most realistic cables I’ve seen…ever. Any chance you sharing your technique on how you did the cable and some of the paint scratches. Again, great looking model

Joe
beepboop
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 01:14 AM UTC
Appreciate the feedback. In response to some of the q's raised:

The missing left fender - truth be told, I just wanted some way of a) showing off the top of the sagged tracks, and b) emphasizing that the KV hull is a long oblong box. I always get fooled by the illusion of solidity that the complete fenders give, and think that the KV has a much bigger hull than it really does. Also, I wanted to put some visual interest into a very "boxy" tank. And, as a final justification, I felt that the kit built soooo easily that I had to do a little something to make it a bit different. My cock-and-bull story about how it happened is that the tank turned into a wall at some point, and that the left fender got mangled to hell and fouled the tracks, so that at the first opportunity they just unbolted the first couple of fenders, leaving the battered brackets in place.

The chipping was done with some acrylic German Grey, followed up by some burnt umber oil paint. The tow cables were sprayed brown, given a black oil wash, then dabbed with mig pigment standard rust which was then gradually brushed off until only a hint remained, and finally finished with a few spots of drybrushed silver. The shackles were just painted a darker version of the hull colour, and then heavily chippied and drybrushed.

Whilst we're swapping techniques, Joe , i;d be obliged if you'd let me know how you got the dusty windows effect on your M-923A2; i was just looking at it in your gallery and I really like the clean spots where the wipers go. How do you calculate the arc shape to mask off?

SnakeEye
Visit this Community
Rodopi, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 03:23 AM UTC
Very nice build indeed. But when I saw your subject I thought it was SHREK figure in wrong forum. :-)
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 05:22 AM UTC
The chipping caught my eye, too... How exactly did you do it?
Great model!
Thanks.
beepboop
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 05:40 AM UTC
The chipping was really simple - I lightly load an old brush with acrylic, scrape it against a test-model (an old Tamiya Bradley I have for experimenting on) until the paint just comes off in speckles, then i drag the brush over the areas I want chipped.
For the burnt umbar oil, i use a fine brush and very, very small dabs of paint since oils are so easy to control and give very strong colour. Nothing to it - and i'm definitely not a skilled brush painter at all so I can say that anyone at all could use this technique.

cheers
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 10:56 AM UTC
Very nice build beepboop, very nice indeed.
Paintjob and weathering, on the big green monster, looks really really great.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 03:02 PM UTC
Have to say, this is the best Russian thingy I've seen in lots of whiles...
The subtle paint scrapes/chips seem spot on, and I agree with your reasoning with the fender; I think it is a nice touch
Agree with Joe that the tow cable looks splendissimo!
What is it made from? Kit item?
Cheers
Brad
beepboop
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 05:11 PM UTC
It's the Trumpter Kv-1 (Model 1941) "Small Turret" Version. Kit No. 00356
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 07:08 PM UTC
A very nice job, your cables and tracks look great. I like the restraint used in the paint chipping.
 _GOTOTOP