_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
IDF Nag Man II APC In progress
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 06:09 PM UTC
I finally started something IDF related, this is one of my first ever decent IDF builds, all other IDF stuff I built when I was younger and isnt very good.
Its Academy's Zelda M113 although ive only used the hull, wheels and roof. The roof details were removed and I rebuilt the drivers periscopes and guards (kit pieces are dreadful!) The auxilary fuel tanks are from the US m113 and have had weld's added to the sides.The hull has been detailed with weld beads joining the roof and hull, this isnt strictly accuarte but looks cool all the same. The Toga armor is from eduard and is rather weak but much better than the kits pieces. The Nag Man conversion is by Blast models and is very good and easy to put together. I had to cut the Toga armor a little to get the smoke dischargers in.
I will be adding fruil tracks and a Kirin Tank commander.

Thanks for looking,

seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 06:58 PM UTC
Dear Rob
I like your model and the Eduard add armor a real nice touch.
Well question: the weld added seems really too much and to over done.
My suggestion: may be you use evergreen small rods dislove with some aceton and put in form with X-Acto blade.

Just my suggestion.

Really nice

Cheers
Seb
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 07:04 PM UTC
Howdy Rob,

Mighty nice work there! And, what's all this stuff about..."...all other IDF stuff I built when I was younger and isnt very good...."? If it was anything like this I think you're being much too humble

Being a big fan of anything 'variant' I'm surprised I never sat down and built anything Isreali, those fellas are the essence of 'variant'.
Your Nag Man II is very interesting to say the least, where did you get your reference pics?
Assuming the smoke dischargers are the box-like items protruding from the front fenders, it's surprising the Isreali's would mount them there...kinda 'stickin' out in the breeze' there aren't they?
Also, what's the item sticking out of the right rear of the upper hull? It looks like it pivots....air ingress?

Keep up the great work

Tread.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 07:22 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys!

Seb-Yes you are correct about the welds, there should infact be only a very tiny weld line joining the hull and roof. Your method of using the plastic rod is something ive heard of before but have never tried before, I think I will remove these welds as they do look a bit rubbish. Can you sue white sprit to dissolve the plastic??

Gordon-It is a very interesting vehicle indeed, although I prefer the Nag man I which has a bigger doghouse. I havent reall used any reference for this actual vehicle, its a pretty recent vehicle and ive found it hard to get pics. I have used lots of pics of either the Zelda or other IDF M113's fitted wth the more common urban warfare shields on the roof. In terms of the smoke dischargers, they do stick out a bit but then again look at the target that doghouse makes for an RPG gunner, I dont think the Israelis are worried about stuff getting damaged. You will also find the smoke dischargers stick out on the M113 classical.
The item on the right corner is an aerial mount.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 09:44 PM UTC
Hey Rob - very unusual and cool subject! I hope you remember to send pics to Vinnie when you're done - it would be an interesting On Display Feature.

Jim
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 01:59 PM UTC
Rob
Well you have to glue the rod on the vehicle and shape it.
Apply with brush few drop of Aceton not too much, you will disolve your model. Wait a little bit to allow the rod to dissolve and mix within the hull and start to scult the rod with your X-Acto blade.

Is it clear ?????

Seb
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 701 posts
Armorama: 640 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 10:27 PM UTC
Rob,

very nice Nagman, although the welds do look a little large......but the PE add on armour looks excellent and i know what you mean about teh Blast parts. I have a Nagman 1 and that was a breeze as well.

What colour are you going to paint it?

You would nto go far wrong using this site for painting references

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/index_vehicles.htm

There are some very interesting photos there and they show the colour schemes well.

Regards from the Swamp

Hawkeye

_GOTOTOP