_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Modern British paint schemes
longneck1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 05:10 PM UTC
can some one please point me in the right direction to the type of green that british armor are painted, also were they painted different in bosnia? see pics that have them looking like they have a gray and black scheme any ideas?
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 455 posts
Posted: Friday, June 23, 2006 - 07:25 AM UTC
Good questions. I am very curious about this myself. I built a Centurion a year ago and the only reference colors I could find appeared to me to be a faded olive drab, more to the brown side and black. This was from a tank from the early 50's but I'm not sure this combination was accurate. I also need to figure out the color of a Centurion used for the British and French raid on the Suez Canal. I'm guessing it was a light stone similar to the French M47's?! I'll keep watching your post here and let you know what I find out but I'm sure others will have some advice for both of us!

Good luck,
Gary
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Friday, June 23, 2006 - 02:01 PM UTC
The green is a light olive drab and obviously the black is black. You'll find that on a lot of vehicles it is hard edged cam. In my old unit we had to handpaint all the Rovers and four tonners annually for a yearly kit check. Complete nightmare painting a four tonner as it would take the best part of a day. We didn't water the paint down but applied it straight onto the vehicle quite thickly. Supposedly it was supposed to cut down the IR image but I never noticed any difference looking through a thermal imager. There wasn't a lot of variation in the green to be noticed when repainting due to them being repainted each year and if we bent one then it would get a repaint while it was in REME workshops. There were no real guidelines to applying the cam pattern.Hope that's of some help.
longneck1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, June 23, 2006 - 02:14 PM UTC
thanx mate ill give it a go...i painted a warrior in olive drab as per instructions but it is way too dark and with weathering you cant see the black cam....build a chally 2 and painted it nato green and black.....looks good but not acurate, also any idea on the grey scheme they used in bosnia?
longneck1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, June 23, 2006 - 03:20 PM UTC
pics of what i have tried are now in my gallery most models are not finished yet
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, June 23, 2006 - 06:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The green is a light olive drab and obviously the black is black. You'll find that on a lot of vehicles it is hard edged cam. There wasn't a lot of variation in the green to be noticed Hope that's of some help.

Thanks Karl, it is a great help.

Gary
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 03:30 AM UTC
I'd never heard of grey cam in Bosnia to be honest. Possibly just vehicles covered in crap? Had a look at this site which is pretty good for reference but can't see anything but you may find it useful http://www.defenceimagedatabase.mod.uk/fotoweb/
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 08:40 AM UTC
Tamiya NATO green mixed 50/50 with Tamiya Olive Drab is a pretty good match.

Experiment a little with test patches before you paint the model and come up with what you will be happy with. It will change again when and if you use pre-shading, post shading, filters, washes, drybrushing, pastels, and pigments....unless you are modelling the tank as it comes out of the factory you will have to use a few of these.

Having worked on AFVs for over 10 years I can say that no two AFV's paint looks the same...doesn't matter which country.

Paint changes with age, washing, repainting, and of course actual use in the field.

Don't expect an exact match for any actual AFV colur from a single bottle of paint.

For Gary, I think you should be pretty close with the light stone colour for Suez Centurions...they were very clean and shiny coming off the ships during the landings.

Are you talking about Bosnia in the context of UNPROFOR..UN white, or with IFOR and SFOR. When the UN white gets dirty it looks grey. I never never seen any British AFVs serving in Bosnia in person or via references painted any kind of grey.
longneck1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 12:00 AM UTC
i dont need exact but would be good to get close......i dont mean the un white in bos, i mean kfor, i saw a miniture chally 2 model already painted in a shop if its still there ill get it and post it hard to explain the colour, i appreciate all the help guys, im getting humbrol 155 olive drab today see how that goes....thanks again..
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
Armorama: 710 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 07:41 AM UTC
I use humbrol 88 that is a pretty good match. and humbrol 33 for the black.

HTH,

herky

gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 06:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tamiya NATO green mixed 50/50 with Tamiya Olive Drab is a pretty good match.

For Gary, I think you should be pretty close with the light stone colour for Suez Centurions...they were very clean and shiny coming off the ships during the landings.

Thanks for the great info Jason. How would your formula translate into Model Master paint colors???

Thanks,
Gary
 _GOTOTOP