_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Recapitalization
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2002 - 01:59 AM UTC
I made a promise some time ago to build a new model and re do one in my possession. So, I stripped the M-10 I had build in the 70's and "modernized" her with new paint and decals. I think I can do better. Rob alluded to a stripper he used for his older models. I want to get my original Tamiya T-34 in better shape. I am looking for suggestions on how best to take apart what I have, strip the paint, and make her look pretty again. Your comments would be most helpful.
Thanks
DJ
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2002 - 02:21 AM UTC
Well, to remove old paint, I used to get those big ziplock freezer bags, place the component inside and spray EZ Off oven cleaner (wife uses fume-free, so that's what I used). Seal the bag overnight and let it soak. The paint would mostly come off and I'd use a toothpick (many) and an old M-16 cleaning kit toothbrush (any old brush would do).

After the paint was mostly gone, I'd try to pry apart the pieces, sometimes putting the kit in the freezer overnight to make the glue joint brittle and easier to pop apart. Sand and prep parts for reassembly, etc. I was surprised how many kits I built that I did not remove mold seams or even sprue burrs back in the day.

Of course after getting into a discussion with someone on RMS regarding paint stripping, this old retired Air Force NCO sent me a sample of his new Strip-A-Kit product and asked me to try it. It works well, better than the oven cleaner, but the zip lock bags and oven cleaner were normally readily available in many households and the S-A-K is relatively new and can't be shipped overseas. If you see it on the shelf, grab some and give it a whirl.

Anyway DJ, if you want to just re-do the kit. Strip it, clean it up, reassemble and repaint. If you want to improve it, you can add photo etch, aluminum gun barrel, aftermarket decals, but then sometimes it is cheaper to buy the latest kit than it is to update an old kit. Unless the kit has sentimental value (kind of like my old M113A1).
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2002 - 02:56 AM UTC
Rob--gracias as always. The sentimental value of the kits play heavily with me. I can not stand to see the Old T-34 just sit there while I buy a newer one. What would she think of me after all these years together? Easy Off and a freezer bag on the way. Great idea. I will get a better main gun. I enjoyed doing the M-10 and said to myself "wow, even way back then you really didn't know how to make models." Talk to you about the M-113 interior after I check the scrap yard.
DJ
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2002 - 02:57 AM UTC
Rob--do you know how close you are to the 1000 message mark!
DJ
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2002 - 03:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rob--do you know how close you are to the 1000 message mark!
DJ

Not until just now when I read your message. Except for the 667th post, I usually post to ask/answer question or provide assistance and not to up my tally. Hard to believe that the number has climbed so high so quickly. Of course I have been posting when I upload photos.

BTW, the photos will slow down since we're in the process of getting a couple of inches of snow. Hard to believe that it was in the 70s last week. Oh well, that's New England for you.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2002 - 05:35 AM UTC
I use to do model railroads. Use to strip paint with brake fluid. Clean up with soap and water the next day.

Steve
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2002 - 11:14 PM UTC
Steve--do you brush it on then hose it off or let it stay? Effect on plastic?
thanks
DJ
 _GOTOTOP