scratchbuild tower door with iron fittings
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 04:15 AM UTC
Ola

My exam session has ended and finally I have some free time on my hands, so I happily sat down today and did some work on my tower project. I recently bought some fine tweezers and small tools, some thin copper sheets and some fine copper wire, so I thought I would give the doors a chance.
First I made the base from balsa 0,5cm wide strips glued together and textured with a brush and some sand. After that I cut out a small rectangular piece of 0,2mm thick copper sheet and used a hammer and a rock to give some texture to it, since it was too flat and polished. When I was done with the texturing I cut out 0,3mm wide pieces and punched some holes to attach it to the wooden door base. Also made a small 0,5x0,5cm copper plate and also put four holes in the corners. I also decided to make some hinges, so I wraped some thin 0,1mm copper sheet around a 0,4mm diameter wire and also wraped the ends of those already made and punched copper fittings. The last thing to do was to make a small door knocker from 0,3mm wire. Here you can see all the pieces laying together (there's also a ruler to show the size of all these things) and my place of work (which is quite a mess:) ):

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/dsc2/door/P1010052.jpg

The next thing was to put that all together, so the knocker goes on the small plate, like this:

And than you glue four rivets/nails (made using a method I described here some time ago) to it, like here:

All you have to do now is to attach it to the door base:

and here's a closeup of the hinge:

The whole thing is still a dry fit only, just to see how it works together and to get your ideas/comments on what is ok and what is not:) Do you think the wood needs more damage? I already used a brush and some sand to give it some texture (the bottom of the door is quite heavily textured, as it's the place that get's all the water and damage from boots, dirt, ground etc.), but I'm not sure if it's enough (on the other hand in such scale, texture wouldn't be really visible).
Hope you like it!!

Take care,
dsc.

cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 05:17 AM UTC
Tom it's beautiful.
Paint some mossy green mold on the bottom of the door in the spaces and cracks.
I've been watching this come together from your first posts and the build is really a work of scratch art.
This will be a welcome addition to any dio that needs a castle, watchtower, keep, thingie.
Please post on this some more when your done.
Cheyenne
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 10:32 AM UTC
Great work Tom,

As you work in 25 mm scale this is even more difficult to do.
I did nearly the exact same thing recently, but you added an extra worth reminding with your texturing of the copper.

Cheers

Claude
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 02:50 PM UTC
Tom, this is a great work. It will look real after the paint work.
Thanks for sharing the tips.
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 02:50 PM UTC
Tom, nice work those hinges look great! Your attention to detail is just awesome...
Konstruktor
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 06:44 PM UTC
I love it!!! Scratch forever!!!
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 06:55 PM UTC
Gday Tommy-boy!
This is another great example from you...
I wouldn't do too much more physical damage to the door... I imagine it's a heavy oak piece of work, so it would only get a bit dirty and faded etc....
Love the knocker; really has a aged look to it
Cheers mate
Brad
P.S. How did your exams go?
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:28 AM UTC
Ola

Thanks for all the replies:) I don't know what to say, you are so kind:)

cheyenne: wow it's really cool to hear that form the master of scratchbuild:) I will try to keep you updated.

Claude: another great scratchbuilder complimenting my work:) Thanks a lot mate! I'm glad you can see the texture of the copper pieces, as I was trying to achieve a hand hammered look.

wampum: glad my work can be of some help to others, if you have any questions regarding anything feel free to ask:)

Paul & Mike: thank you for your kind words my friends!

Bradley-boy:): I agree on the wood, I won't do anything else to it, maybe only roughen the bottom of the door and add some small damage here and there (but it will be minimal).
I'm still waiting for the result of one exam, everything else is passed:) But I failed my driving exam today:/

Again thank you and see you on the forums!!

Cheers,
dsc.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 02:14 AM UTC
Excellent job... I'll need to try this.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 03:00 AM UTC
Tom, great details, just like the rest of your tower, I second Cheyennes suggestion about adding some moss. Looking forward to the next update. Kevin
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 02:19 AM UTC
Ola

Murdo: yeah try it, it's not hard and it's fun scratchbuilding stuff:)

Kevin: I will try to add some moss on the door as well as on the walls. Before the next update I have some questions regarding the floor construction, which can be seen somewhere on the forum.

Thanks for your replies guys,
Cheers,
dsc.
 _GOTOTOP