_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Help Needed - Glossy problem
Torgut
Visit this Community
Portugal
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 02:05 PM UTC
Hi...

I just finished my BTR-50 model, after 17 yeats away of this hobby. But I did a terrible mistake. I used Matt 83, which is rust color, to simulate a little rust.

Eventually the paint wasn't in good conditions, but the truth is that all spots where I aplied it became terribly gloss. They almost shine on a dark room. The good news are that these spots are not so huge. But I would love to eliminate these shining zones. Any ideas?
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 09:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi...

I just finished my BTR-50 model, after 17 yeats away of this hobby. But I did a terrible mistake. I used Matt 83, which is rust color, to simulate a little rust.

Eventually the paint wasn't in good conditions, but the truth is that all spots where I aplied it became terribly gloss. They almost shine on a dark room. The good news are that these spots are not so huge. But I would love to eliminate these shining zones. Any ideas?

Hi Ricardo - I don't know what brand Matt 83 you used, but if it's Humbrol.... then Hum83 is OCHRE . Anyhow, most good quality brands of matte color hobby paint's will dry with a gloss or more commonly a semi-gloss finish if the paint is not fully stirred ......especially Humbrol
- You can airbrush on a coat of TESTORS DULLCOTE, which will correct your problem, and give your model a matte finish or brush on the Dullcote over each spot. WARNING: brushing each spot seperately might give your model an uneven finish, but the dullcote will surely give those spot's a DEAD FLAT finish.

SOME ADVICE FOR FUTURE PAINTING:
- Always wash & rinse the model and let air-dry. ( This helps the paint/primer to bond better to the model's surface ).
- Use the paints own brand of thinner, or one that's is recommended by the manufacture.
- A good matte paint is better applied in 2 or 3 thin coats instead of one heavy coat.
- Stir paint very, very well. ( This re-mixes the pigment settled at the bottom & the solvent carrier agent back into their proper ratio's giving a matte paint it's expected result's for a "dead flat finish " ). ( This also hold's true for gloss hobby paints ).
These simple guides ( NOT rules ) will help you to achieve satisfying result's

GOOD LUCK

- ralph
 _GOTOTOP