_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Challenger 1 Resin update set Help
Jeffamentrul
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 10:57 PM UTC
Hi all,

I have a Verlinden desert storm resin update set for Tamiya's Challenger 1. I have never worked with resin before and I was wondering how you remove the flash from the parts without damaging them. I have been told by a guy at work that you should not cut the flash off as it is very brittle and will just crack in half, he suggested just using wet and dry and sanding the flash away. I can see that taking a long time though as some of the excess flash is quite large.

Any tips would be excellent

Thank you in advance

Kev
james84
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 11:01 PM UTC
Hello!
I never worked with resin too, but I already posted here in order to ask how to cut it: the only thing I can assure you is that you have to WEAR A MASK because that stuff is TOXIC!
Good luck!
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 813 posts
Armorama: 522 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 11:25 PM UTC
Hi Kev,
You can cut the flash away, but be very slow and careful, as resin is very brittle, but also repairable with super glue.
When I work with resin I use sanding sticks and lots of water,, keeping the resin and sanding stick wet at all times, not only will you keep the dust to a minimum, sanding will be faster. I usually where some type of eye protection as well, even if it's just my "Optivisor:
Resin can be a great medium but it does have its issues.
Good luck
Joker
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 701 posts
Armorama: 640 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 11:33 PM UTC
Kevin,

for the larger casting blocks i bought a four inch grinder and use 120 grit disks. If you go this route, make sure you work outside, wear eye and ear protection. A mask is not essential outside, as you can sand the resin away from you. With the smaller pieces, you could use a scapel to remove the flash and a pair of side cutters to cut the casting block away, as long as you take it easy.

Regards from the Swamp

Hawkeye
SGT_Fubar
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 168 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 11:39 PM UTC
I use a battery operated rotary tool, with a sanding barrel. Becareful because it is a brittle medium. This gets the majority of big chunks down then I work with either an xacto saw blade or sand paper block. I also try to do much of my prep in the summer when I can do it outside, the dust is unbelivable. Good luck.
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 12:01 AM UTC
A razor saw is a very nice tool to use on resin. It is rather easy to saw the parts of their casting blocks.

Erik
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 02:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm with Erik on this one. Low tech is sometimes the best way to go. Yes it's going to take some time. It's not shake and bake like some plastic kit.

And there are plenty of warnings on this site that resin is VERY nasty stuff!
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 03:13 AM UTC

Score with a scalpel on both sides if possible and it should snap off----larger "chunks" --use a razer -saw ---it may look brittle but it can be tough----dont worry if it breaks --as long as its not too small --super glue and leave for a few hours then dive in again
Attitude is ---treat like metal --with respect for the dust
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
 _GOTOTOP