_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Eduard Brass
Porsche
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2002 - 07:39 AM UTC
I'm new to the hobby. I have Eduard brass for a T34. How am I supposed to remove the Tamiya plastic to make room for the brass? Exacto knives just don't seem to do it. I'm basically ruing the model!!

Thanks,Andy
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2002 - 07:50 AM UTC
Hard to do, but you need to use the chiseled shaped blade, not necessarily the regular #11 blade. Also for bigger "chunks" you can use a grinding bit in a Dremel Moto-tool.

Make sure you have sanding films nearby to take care of any scrapes in the plastic.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2002 - 09:59 AM UTC
Andy,
I hate to state the obvious, but slow and steady. You can always remove material, but it is a real pain to fill in a gouge. Try a chisel xacto blade and file the corners round, that way you won't dig in to the plastic.Attach, with white glue, pieces of sanding film to pieces of styrofoam egg cartons cut to the shape you might need for removing material. If you do gouge, make a slurry of you favorite filler, fill the scrape and let it dry overnight. Then try again.
HTH
Linz
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 181 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2002 - 04:35 PM UTC
If it something like replacing the engine grills (or similar), drill a bunch of small holes around the border of the plastic (on the waste side), then use a thin hacksaw or similar and cut it out if it needs it. File and sand - volia!

Cheers,
Linz
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2002 - 06:36 PM UTC
Hi Andy!
I use an #11 blade as Sabot mentionned, just make sure to wear a brand new one, start cutting and rubbing it, after it, wet sand and puty if need. Just take your time and be patient, never finnish an work if you're not completly satisfied...
Just my two cents!
Cheers!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2002 - 11:37 PM UTC
Amigo--I reiterate what brighter minds than I do better than I will ever do---go slow. You will never get a particular huge hunk of plastic of the way unless you mask the area, visualize what you want to do and then slowly in small bit hack away at it. Use a sanding stick where possible to smooth over the palstic.
Hope this helps.
DJ
Tiger1
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 01:46 AM UTC
There are many ways to use etched brass. Eduard and Aber definately make the best etched brass. One thing to remember is that you do not have to use every piece of brass that is given to you. Alot of times the molded piece is just as good or better then the brass one. Micro Mark makes a great snipping tool that helps remove pieces of molded plastic with ease. It costs about $10 and it is well worth it. Also when using etched brass dip the brass in vinegar and dry it off quickly, this will help paint adhere to the brass better. I also found it good to heat up large pieces of brass (i.e. fenders or mud guards) this alows you to bend the brass much easier. Keep the brass instructions next to the kit ones, so you can determine what needs to be replaced and what doesn't.
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 02:08 AM UTC
the term associated with heating photo etched material to render it more pliable is "annealing" another for the glossery if you ask me Col Jim.

_GOTOTOP