_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Simulating smoke......
Merkava
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 09:19 AM UTC
What is the best way to simulate active smoke, say from a freshly hit AFV, in a diorama? I've thought about trying cotton batting or something similar but Im not really sure how to work it. Is it even possible to simulate smoke in a realistic manner?
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 09:35 AM UTC
The only time I have seen it done was with cotton (cotton balls) stretched into shape and painted in gray and black. Smoke is quite difficult to simulate in such manner that it looks realistic.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 09:39 AM UTC
Merkava,

Smoke is, in my opinion, a very very hard, if not impossible, nut to crack. I haven't seen a dio with convincing smoke so far. As for the cotton it looks to me that it's often overdone... too thick cotton ruins it.

Smoke and fire...... ooops those are tough !! suggestions anybody.....feel free to post them.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 09:46 AM UTC
http://miniaturesbygarcia.50megs.com/page56.html

This is the best smoke that I've seen done. Unfortunately I don't know how he did it.

screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 11:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

http://miniaturesbygarcia.50megs.com/page56.html

This is the best smoke that I've seen done. Unfortunately I don't know how he did it.

Hi M1 - that is Sam Garcia's diorama " DEFEAT AT FALAISE ". Fortunately Sam sent me the instructions on how to make the smoke, but it wouldn't be moral of me to just post them here without his permission. However, I will ask him if I can post them for you all if you want them. I think you will find they sound a lot simpler to make then they look.

- ralph

Paul160
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 102 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 11:14 AM UTC
i have tryed to take cotton balls and soak then in glue and water then sculpt them, but it never comes out looking good.

Cheers,
Paul
Merkava
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 12:05 PM UTC
screamingeagle,

Yes please ask him.

And tell him I'll buy him a nice ice-cold beer if he'll let you
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 07:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

screamingeagle,

Yes please ask him.

And tell him I'll buy him a nice ice-cold beer if he'll let you

OK Merk - I have already sent the email. I'll let you know by a PM what happens and then hopefully post them here.

- ralph
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 07:40 PM UTC
I like to inform you all that my previous attempt of simulate smoke with a scented candle had failed result in the total destruction of a finely built T34/76, and the unfriendly visit of a bully fireman. #:-)
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 07:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

unfriendly visit of a bully fireman.

Easy on the fireman bashing.

Patrick
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 07:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

unfriendly visit of a bully fireman.

Easy on the fireman bashing.

Patrick

Patrick, the bashing is on me, he got every reason to be unfriendly to me for the scented candle thing.... And I respect all the firemen, I think they are real heroes!

But, God, I did wish that scented candle thing worked..... #:-)
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 08:10 PM UTC
I experimented with some of that railroad smoke once. I had plans to place a light bulb run by a battery in a barrell with two guys warming their hands over it. I would drop a little of the liquid on the bulb and it smoked. It had promise, but I guess I lost interest and moved on to another project. Some sort of MADD (modeling attention deficit disorder) for which I have found no cure.

Patrick
trackpins
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 09:17 PM UTC
Firstly thank you Hong Kong for the candle story. Glad no one was hurt. But the best laugh I have had in weeks! Tears streaming down my face just picturing it. Warped British sense of humour!

Smoke. I guess that from saying you would use real smoke you want a short term effect for photography.

I experimented with all sorts of items for the working smoke cannisters on my 1:8 T34-85. The ideal solution for me is the smoke tablets that you can buy in plumbing shops. They are used to test the flow of air and to ensure no leaks in buildings etc. Easy to light, break up for a shorter/smaller effect and available in different sizes.

They don't get that hot externally (other than the base, a piece of old tile insulates) so you could use them inside a tank with comon sense. I would however wrap a few turns of doubled kitchen foil around it to be on the safe side though. You could ignite them remotely by using model rocket igniters. If so, drill a small hole in the top, place the igniter in and cover up/around with the dust from drilling the hole. Lights every time!

Hope of use.

Peter Mealing (Trackpins)
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 09:32 PM UTC
I saw a couple of months ago a dio on a site that I don`t remember anymore but...
The scene was depicting a PZKFW 3 or 4 that was hit by something (mine, rocket, 50cal)
the scene was full of action as the crew was bailing out and ran away for their lives as the tank could explode in very short time.
Another factor why this dio was so good was that smoke was coming through every hole in the tank (hatches etc.) . And with smoke I mean the big fat black smoke.
From what I remember of the picture I could see that he used the cotton-balls sprayed in black and different shades of grey using the airbrush.
this was for me thusfar the most convincing smoke I have ever seen
too bad I can`t show you pictures of it because I don`t have the link anymore. Maybe somebody here on the site knows where I`m talking about and maybe that person knows the link

but this were my two cents

azizmaz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 04:36 AM UTC
Here is the link on how he did the smoke. http://www.digitaldioramas.com/2002/jul02/features/dd_garcia.php
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 04:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is the link on how he did the smoke.

Well then Merkava, I guess we don't have to wait for Sam's ok' after all.
I didn't know he gave them to Digital Dio's. Those are the exact same one's he sent me
a year ago. SO NOW GET GOING ON THAT SMOKE ! ...... good looking out azi !!!!!

- ralph
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 05:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Firstly thank you Hong Kong for the candle story. Glad no one was hurt. But the best laugh I have had in weeks! Tears streaming down my face just picturing it. Warped British sense of humour!

Peter Mealing (Trackpins)

Peter if this is the best laugh, then may I suggest you to browse some of the Der SOnntag Bund Forum thread, now there are some serious laughs! #:-)
Merkava
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 10:31 AM UTC
Screamingeagle,

Guess I'll buy you that beer instead. And one for Azizmaz for finding that link!

_GOTOTOP