_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Rolls Royce Armoured cars?
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 813 posts
Armorama: 522 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 07:24 PM UTC
Hi,
Looking for information on these beasties. Tried Googling, not alot of wartime images.Lots of restored vehicles, just not what I'm after. I'm looking for drawings/ dimensions, articles.
I'm aware of the kits available but I think I'll scratch it.
I think I'm after an early war ( calder?) camoflage RAF vehicle. Anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance
Joker
Nailcreek
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 97 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 08:52 PM UTC
Hello ... during WWII RR armoured cars were used by the RAF (No.1 Company, ACC), Aden Section and the 11th Hussars in the western desert. By the time the war started, RAF No.2 ACC had moved the armour to Fordson truck chassis.

Anyway, the following MSN group has some photos which you might find interesting.

http://groups.msn.com/RAFArmdCarCompanies

Enjoy and good luck!
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 1,148 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 09:03 PM UTC
You might also try warwheels.net
The site owner is also a member here. I have always found out alot of good info there.
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 05:44 AM UTC
Joker:

Oh, the pain....

JMGT does a resin 1/35 1924 pattern with the Frazer-Nash turret.
It is *very* expensive, and not a very good kit. Nonetheless I fought my way thru it for 6 months & ended up with a pretty nice model ... (PS, I bought it at way less than it is going for now & considered it a rip-off at that time).

You can see some real & model pix in my gallery:
http://photos.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/14297

If you search Armorama for Rolls Royce Armoured Car, you might come up with a couple threads where I covered building this thing ... it was 2005.

There are almost no pictures of this particular version -- most pix are of Aussie RRAC with the lobster-back turret ... Seems like you found the restorations and WW1 stuff -- they are good source for construction details to make the JMGT kit better. I even found instructions for a Pocher kit of a Silver Arrow tpo get the undercarriage details ...

Also see the Resicast site, WW1 era. They have a photo of a chassis which looks super, but doesn't seem like much progress on producing a full kit. A few of us have asked 'em to just kit the chassis !!!

I have a lot of photos gleaned from the net & elsewhere. If you get to a specific project, let me know/

John
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 09:13 AM UTC
Unfortunately, I don't have much on this vehicle either. It is a pity there isn't much more out there. Someday I hope to devote some time to finding out more on this ac.

Anyway, I do have some photos on the Bovy RR Mark I. Check it out at http://www.warwheels.net/RollsRoyce1920Mark1INDEX.html . Pay particular attention to the printed reference section in the index as there are some decent stuff in general on the RR.

Also, George Bradford has a number of 1/35 line drawings of a number of the RR cars, although I don't think the RAF one. Check out AFV News at http://www.afvnews.ca/1-35g.html .
JorgeLopez
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 01:38 PM UTC
Hi,

If you can wait until September, Jordi Rubio, manufacter known by his turned aluminium barrels, will release a completely new resin kit of the Rolls Roye Armoured car. I have seen the master model and it looks very nice.

regards,
Jorge
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 813 posts
Armorama: 522 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 05:52 PM UTC
Thanks all for the info. I found an old article from FSM, on how to scratch from 24 scale, so that will help.
I'll also try and find out more about the frame, suspension from some Rolls Royce automotive sites, maybe I can start to scratch something.
That Jordi resin Rolls sound very interesting though, September isn't too far away!
Thanks for all your help
Pete
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 07:11 PM UTC
Hi Jorge.

Do you know of any photos of the Jordi Rubio Rolls build up master kit, parts, etc?

JorgeLopez
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 4 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 07:36 PM UTC
Hi again,

Well, the pre-production model is almost ready, so I think there will be some official photos around very soon.
By the way, it is the version as displayed in Bovington.

Regards,
Jorge
airraid
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 08:30 PM UTC
Hi Peter

Try here http://www.afvnews.ca/1-35g.html I just had a look and there are three sets of drawings for RR Armoured cars in 1/35. Or google AFVNEWS. It is a Canadian site by George R Bradford Hope this helps

Dennis
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 10:19 PM UTC
Hi Peter,

I have a 2.5 Mb directory of RR AC stuff I can Zip and send you. It's all just pics and models and a couple of line drawings gleaned from the net.
 _GOTOTOP