_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
VP US tank figs
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 12:37 PM UTC
Gday fig. folk! Wondering if anyone knows a stockist of Verlinden #1575 US tank crew bailing out (Set 2) at a good price...
You have probably seen the set; 2 figs. over the commanders' cupola, one unconscious, the other lifting him out from behind...
Now the dilemma I have is that I have seen #1573 (set 1) at an online store for about $14.85US, but haven't seen the other I want for cheap at all...
Also if you have used these figs. I would be interested to hear from you, as to their scale, quality, etc.
I wish to attempt an ambitious dio (for me) in an urban setting, with a Sherman k.o.'ed by a Panzerfaust, and the crew escaping by the hair on their chinnychinchins...
Cheers for any help
Brad
AndyD
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 282 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 02:00 PM UTC
What do you mean by good price?
I have a set in the stash which I paid about $20 AUD for - to me that is a good price. Factor in about $7 postage.
I got them off ebay.com
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 02:14 PM UTC
Gday Andy
Yep, to me that would be what I would expect to pay... I think I can get Firestorm to order them in for just under $30, so I figure any cheaper than that is a good price
tutdiesel
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 251 posts
Armorama: 187 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 07:36 AM UTC
I have the other set (#1 I believe) and I assume its not much different in quality than the second set. In all honesty I'd rate it as ok. The figures are a bit big and the molding is decent but the poses are really good. I'd probably replace the heads since they are a bit boring and unexciting for a pair of tankers that are attempting to bail out but I'm not sure if a head set by Hornet or Warriors, for example, will be big enough. All in all if you can find them for a good deal I'd say go for it but I'm sure there are others that may have a differing opinion.
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 04:40 PM UTC
Bradley, I have both sets of Verlinden figures... I would have to agree with Matt. The figures are a bit large for the scale, Verlinden figures tend to drawf other well know figures. The quality is a bit better than say DML plastic figures. They are OK... Nothing to get too excited about. Fit problems are another problem with the figures. Almost all the time I have used Verlinden figures I find myself having to fix bad fit problems. Especially the two figure sets where one has arms on another. I usually can fix these by sanding away some of the molded figure arms and then go back and add putty to the arms so the arms do not have gaps. There is almost always gaps where the arms should be in contact with the figure it is holding. I would also suggest that anytime you consider any US figures, go to this site and have a look to see if they are reviewed. He does a nice job of reviewing them and is honest in his reviews.

http://www.usarmymodels.com/kitsandreviews.html

Paul
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 06:03 PM UTC
Matt, Paul, thanks for being straight up!
I was kind of expecting them to be sizeable (I have the 3 US GIs floating around somewhere, and they're all frontrowers!) but as the tank would be the only thing with them, I hoped to get away with it... The main thing is the poses, which are kind of unique (although I do recall seeing a similar turret escape; Jaguar, perhaps?)
I may end up converting some figs to similar poses...
Cheers
Brad
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 06:15 PM UTC
Yes, Jagaur does have a set if still available. I didn't mean to stear you away from the Verlinden figs, but did want you to be prepared that they will require some attention... I have used a number of Verlinden figs and still do, but cautiously. If you need any insight if you do build them, let me know I have some V figs in the works right now for my Carentan project. I can show you what to expect, but better yet I can show you how I go about fixing them....
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 06:25 PM UTC
Paul~ no worries mate!
Thanks for the offer... I'm going to settle on cruising for some more pics and may end up scratching what i see fit...
How's the Carentan dio coming along?
 _GOTOTOP