_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Panther-dio recycling
Ralf
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 170 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 01:41 AM UTC
In one of my latest posts, I presented a Dio, showing a Panther in the mud ("road to nowhere").

Well, there was a terrible overkill: My wife, meanwhile cleaning up around the workbench, made the whole scenery crash down to the floor.
As it wasn´t possible to repair the damaged tracks and roadwheels, I decided to recycle the Panther: Cutting the lower parts of the wheels with a Dremel, I decided to create a new dio, letting the Panther cross a river. So I could hide the damaged parts. The scenery had to depict a moment in the retreat of SS-Panzerdivision "Das Reich" when Panthers of this Division broke through the circle of Tscherkassy, in early 1944. So this is the recycled Panther-dio:

For more close-ups of this dio: http://groups.msn.com/armorama/panther.msnw?Page=Last
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 01:54 AM UTC
Very nicely done! You are truly a very resourceful modeler. Would you mind telling me how you made the water? Is it plaster or some other medium? I must say I am not sure how I feel about the dead horse in the water. It somehow doesn't work for me but hey, this is just my opinion and my not mean much.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 01:55 AM UTC
Ralf

yep and again the floor wins in the conflict DIO vs. FLOOR that`s real sh!t
but as you show in your pics your panther rose out of the ashes as a phoenix and became a star in another even more beuatifull dio

congrats with the recovery man Bitte ein Bit :-) :-)

bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 02:09 AM UTC
It's funny how an accident can make take you down a different but even better road. I think the second dio is much better than the first, especially the way you kept the horse in (in a novel, gruesome sort of way!) How did you make such realistic water?? Although I wouldn't encourage your wife to bust your dios, it turned out very well in the end!
Ralf
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 170 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 02:35 AM UTC
Well, the water in this dio is made of DAS Pronto, painted by airbrush and finished with several gloss coats. To me this method is very comfortable, because You have plenty of time to model or correct waves and waterline of the tank. And I think that in the overall aspect the results are convincing. Youl find a very good feature about this technique here in Armorama. https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/42
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 03:13 AM UTC
Unlike Bumbles - Diorama's don't bounce
You turned a negative into a killer positive. I love the new dio. I honestly haven't seen anything like it.

Well Done.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 03:38 AM UTC
I totally agree with the previous posters regarding diorama salvage and the sculpting of the water, but to me the very blue water stands out.
Around here, NE USA , river water is brown or greenish, or even (near Hemlock forests) orange-ish..

Please don't get me wrong, it's beautiful creative work, I also love the evocative atmosphere of a dead horse. Coincidantally I was reading in Steel Rain about the very breakout you are portraying, quite a harrowing experience you captured very well.

My US$ 0.02
Mike
Belgian
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 04:46 PM UTC
One word: WOW!!

OK, let me add a few more words. My grandfather who is now 101, always told me of the horors of the 2 wars he lived through (Belgium). When he walked hundreds of kilometers back to his house at the end of WW I, he saw all the horror in every city he passed and every road he crossed. I remember him telling me about numerous dead horses along side a road. This dio reminded me of that story.
 _GOTOTOP