_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
I feel Guilty! - Mis-priced Char B
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 193 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 03:41 AM UTC
Last week, my wife and I were in Seattle for a Dr. Appointment and I decided to take her to dinner to her favorite restaurant, Bahama Breeze, but it was under the condition I got to go to Hobby Town USA. Hadn't been in there since I went to the "Desert" last year. While in there I ran across Tamiya's 1/35 Char 1 bis for $29.95.
Now I am not a fan of French armor mind you but I do appreciate a bargain. I figured my Taro Fiat 3000 needed a friend.
Now the guilt part...I think they mis-marked the kit and I really "stole" it, also I had to "bribe" my wife with dinner to go into the shop. However I guess I can "blame" her since it was her idea for me to buy the kit. NO REALLY, it was her idea since she saw me shopping for one on line at a price tag of $51.00. She appreciates a bargain too! Help me out...Should I punish myself and go build a really crappy Eastern European kit as penance or just go out to the bench and do an out of the box review followed by a build review of the Char B1?????

Chief
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 1,148 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 03:45 AM UTC
Dont feel guilty, my LHS does that a lot. I even asked the owner one time if the price was correct on something and he got highly irked that I was questioning him :-)

Just build it and post photos for your penance
lavgnr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 216 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 03:46 AM UTC
Lauren, you should reward your honesty with a good Eastern European kit, but you owe the site a penance of in-progress pictures.

I know what you mean, I found the Dragon Scud B with TEL marked at $39.00 a few years ago, when it retailed for around $75 (Cdn)The store owner didn't have it on sale, but gave it to me for that price anyways. I sent some customers his way to make it up.

(EDIT) Mark, you beat me to it!
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 04:43 AM UTC
Chief

Never,ever feel guilty about a good deal A few months back I managed to get a Tamiya T26E3 for $21.49 and the Tamiya T55A for $10 yes both were on sale A deal is a deal
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 04:46 AM UTC
Go build that Start T-40 amphibious tank. That should give you fits.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 04:53 AM UTC
Guilt is a terrible thing,
I'll be happy to relieve you of the guilt.
Feel free to ship it to me.
Have fun with the Taro Fiat,
I haven't built one since it was first released, and
Joe the Animal had his shop in Belleville, NJ.
And I still have nightmares.... :-) :-)
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 05:00 AM UTC
This hasnt happened to me yet but in good faith i wouldnt hope that it happens. $51 for a Char B is a tad pricey so if you can get away with getting it a little cheaper......Im sure we will all close one eye. Progress shots are a must though!
Cob
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 275 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 05:01 AM UTC
Build a bridge and get over it Chief! Now doesn't that feel better? Seriously , I'm sure you have overspent once or twice because you just "had" to have something you really didn't need. It all evens out in the end. Do a review and post it here for all to enjoy. I am working on my "full price " Char B1 bis and I am having a ball.

Cob
CMDCM/SS Retired

P.S. Glad to hear you got back safe and sound from the sandbox.

slynch1701
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 290 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 05:38 AM UTC
Feel no guilt. My suspicion is that larger outfits like Hobbytown get these at lower prices which means that they can sell them lower due to a volume discount. Also, this time you may be benefiting from a mismark, but I will bet that you have paid higer due to mismark and didn't realize. I truly believe everything evens out for everyone in the end.

Sean
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 06:38 AM UTC
One thing to note before beginning construction on the Tauro Fiat 3000. The tracks will not fit if the kit is assembled as indicated in the instructions.

You will have to try to move the front idler rearward. You won't be able to more the rear sprocket forward because of the gear and the way it attaches to the rear of the hull.

The large front wheel mounts onto the suspension unit. It is possible to relocate it rearward a few millimeters. This will give you a little room with the tracks. Unfortunately, there are no replacement tracks.
snowman6
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 09:22 AM UTC
You paid the advertised price. If it was mismarked it was no fault of yours. Enjoy the great bargain.
Chief
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 193 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 10:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Go build that Start T-40 amphibious tank. That should give you fits.

SABOT, I already did, its in my gallery.

Ok, I'll start on the Box review this weekend. It will be awhile before I build it though. I have a Panzer II "Luchs" almost finished and a "Wingy Thingie" and E-boat in the on deck circle.
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Armorama: 692 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 10:42 AM UTC
Hell...I purchased a Tamiya Pershing for...$7. Was labeled correctly though the price tag wasn't in the best of shape. Under pressure from the line forming behind me the check out girl read it as $15 (not $45)...and it was 50% off on top of that....nearly had something similar happen again as I saw the Tamiya T55 marked down to $26 for clearance and I had another 50% off coupon...but this time she wouldn't put the coupon on top of the already marked down price (fair enough) and indeed read the price tag correctly...
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 769 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 04:23 PM UTC
When Tamiya's 1/35 late Tiger I first came out, it was listed as $51. My LHS had it for $17. Snapped that sucker right up. Never felt a moment of guilt. Recently, they had the Dragon Flak crew for $36! Guess they finally found the shortage in their books and are trying to make it up :-)

Jesse
Red4
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 09:11 PM UTC
You should feel horrible, guilty etc... To make amends, send me the Char B, and I will send you any Starfix Aircraft kit of your choosing :-) :-) :-) Don't sweat the good deal. The stores will still make money somewhere and it will offset the loss, if there really was any, of the Char. Build it and put up some pics. "Q"
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 09:28 PM UTC
I bought the 2nd Gen DML Tarawa Marines today for €7.99 today -the usual retail price here is €14. I don't know if it was marked down because the 2nd Gen kits are not moving, or if it was a mistake, I just paid for it and ran, and I never run :-)
airraid
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 04:16 AM UTC
Hi Lauren

Don`t feel guilty.I went into a hobby shop at Haworth in Yorkshire .They had two kits of the Dragon Flak36,one marked at £28.99 and one at £23.99.Guess which one I bought?. But as penance I get to inform the world of this great shop via this reply.It`s about 100yards from the Steam railway station.Packed literally from floor to ceiling with kits.

Dennis
tylusfaust
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 371 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 04:28 AM UTC
Unlike most of the modelers here, I do think you should feel guilty. The kit was obviously mispriced or the clerk was unaware of the item's true value.

I suggest that as penance you mail this ill-gained kit to me (paying shipping and handling yourself) and I will clear you of all guilt on this matter.

Email me privately for my address. Thanks in advance.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 04:38 AM UTC
Personally, I think you should do penance for being so smug and telling us all about it! :-) :-) :-)
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 06:32 AM UTC
Had some similar luck with a few kits. Won a 1/35 Pavehawk for £5.60 on Ebay. I didn’t think (and would not have blamed him) the guy would complete the sale. When the kit arrived I felt very guilty.

Recently I bought a 2nd hand 1/48 Corsair at a ‘street fair’ (after a short haggle) for £3, when I opened the kit at home it also had the Airwaves PE set inside it. I felt both pleased and guilty at the same time.
E23C
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 07:48 AM UTC
Build it and enjoy it,I recently finished mine which I might add I paid full retail for. And enjoyed every bit of it.

Have fun

Mark
 _GOTOTOP