_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
AFV Club Centurion
keo
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 613 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 02:39 PM UTC
A first glance at the AFV Club Centurion

Thanks to Hobby Link Japan, and my credit card, I’m now the delighted owner of AFV Clubs most expected Centurion kit. It wasn’t easy though – in the best tradition of my compatriot H C Andersen’s fairytale I had to injure much before reaching my goal. Last February I made a pre order for the kit that was promised by April. Between April and mid June it was delayed on a two weeks regular schedule.

But now it’s here, and what a truly delight it is. Even for a AFV Club kit this is something else. The box is in Dragon stile cramped with parts. Plastic parts, rubber parts, metal, etch, clear, mesh, you name it – it’s there. The quality is excellent, truly a masterwork here. A few years ago, it seemed that everything was compared to “The Tamiya standard”; well those days are over by now. Dragon, and with this kit, AFV Club have moved past Tamiya.

Though it may seem naturally to compare it with Tamiya’s old Centurion kit there really isn’t any comparison – and thanks for that. I wont go into the kit in detail that has already been done by Perth
( see http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/afvclub/afv35100.htm ) but here are some personal thoughts about the kit.

Good things:
· The kit is of an Australian version but all the Aussie stuff are add ons, so it’s no problem to converted it to other versions. You don’t even have to fill holes as they are to be drilled out to take the Aussie parts.
· The potential with this kit is enormous and it’s made with that intension. There are parts in the set that is clearly intended to be made to other versions later. An early Mk III is almost already there except for the gun.
· All the hatches have details inside and out which cries for an interior (anyone? Blast? Accurate Armour? CMK?)
· Loads of small detail everywhere

Bad things, well there really isn’t any except for two things:

· The assembly of the gun is a bummer. The fume extractor is to be filled and inserted over the end of the alu tube, which will need fillers once in it’s position. It must surely could be made easier for the modeller.
· Do we really need those working boogies? I’m personally getting a little tired of these toy stuffs that from time to time is getting into the kit.

I intend to make a Danish Mk5 with a dozer from Accurate Armour. And even though it’s warm this summer I’m already building it.

Elad
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 269 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 03:05 PM UTC
hey Kenneth,
I'm glad you like the kit, I'm planning on building one too somewhere down the road (which is paved with lots of unfinished projects )

anyway, is there any evidence in the engineering of the kit that any of the Israeli variants should be expected sometime in the future?

keo
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 613 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 03:19 PM UTC
There are no actual Israeli parts as far as I can tell. However, the engine grills are separate parts, which indicates to me that an Israeli Cent might be made. Isn’t this, apart form the 105mm gun, the only difference?

_GOTOTOP