_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Dennison Smock - British RM/Paras
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 02:28 PM UTC
Greetings all,

Am I right in thinking that the Dennison Smock worn by the RM is the same as that worn by the Paras in WW2.

I was thinking about using some of the excellent Resicast Paras as RM Commmandos.

I've seen both photos of RM in BD and with Smocks on D Day. Any comments???

Cheers

Al
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 02:41 PM UTC
It may have been the cammo'ed windproof smock that was worn by the RM commandoes (one of the figures in DMLs 2nd SAS set wears one).
Sandy
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 628 posts
Armorama: 405 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 02:53 PM UTC
Hi , the answer is not as simple as it seems , THe RM's certainly did use the Denison smock in the normal cammo , but here lies the rub , as they had the press studs and half zips replaced by buttons and button holes . Reason that Studs rust in water . The Officers had the a slightly different cut to the normal pattern, the lower bottom pockets are larger by about 20% in size. The rear tail piece was removed or retained but it was on an indevidual basis . Please do not confuse the Denison with the Windproof smock they are totally different in cut and style and camouflage patterns cheers ian
Sandy
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 03:18 PM UTC
Hi , I forgot to add , if you want scans of the Denison and Windfproof Cammo patterns then just ask and I will scan them for you cheers ian
AndyD
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 282 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 04:59 PM UTC
Consider youself asked Sandy!! :-)
I'm just about to start two new projects - 1) The Kirin RM's in 1/35 and 2)
The New Order Brit Para in Northen Ireland in 1/16
any scans would assit greatly.
Cheers,
Andy
Sandy
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 08:07 PM UTC
Hi Andy , the Post War Para Smock is different in the colours and pattern , I will scan all three later on in the week , send an email to me at [email protected] and Title it Denison and you will recieve them cheers ian
AlanL
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 07:41 AM UTC
Hi Sandy,

Thanks for that information, I'll PM my email address, those would be most useful.

Re studs, it's funny you should mention that. In the photos I have of 48 RM Cmdo wearing smocks, what I noticed was that they all had the press studs shinning brightly!! They are wearing the 4 pocket style not the ones with the zip pocket across the top and the two lower pockets

What's not clear in the photo is the colour, they almost look to be one colour. They would also appear to have BD trousers with putties and a few are wearing rubber soled boots.

Thanks again.

Al

_GOTOTOP