_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
SAM-2 in East Germany
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 12:55 AM UTC
I'd like to build a SAM-2 station in East Germany, but how was the site actually set up? Out in the open field, or in a concrete revetment? I'm doing a Cuban Missle Crisis scenario. Thanks.
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 01:09 AM UTC
I assume you are thinking of only one missle ? A complete SAM site is a pretty large affair. You can find references to the actual configuration of the site many places (just Google SAM Sites), as regardless of country of deployment they look the same from the air (having flown over many ).

"The V-75 / SA-2 system is designed to be simple and easy to operate with the minimum of specialized training. The standard deployment pattern of a battalion site consists of six semi-fixed trainable single rail launchers are deployed in the familiar hexagon arrangement about 60-100 meters apart. The launchers may be dug into pits, left at ground level or hardened in concrete revetments. The battery command post fire control team and its computer, the Fan Song missile control radar, the P-12 Spoon Rest early warning radar, and typically six reload rounds on their articulated trailers are all located in the center of the launchers array. "
 _GOTOTOP