_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Morser Karl Gerat, Will You Build?
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 11:37 AM UTC
It's kind of strange that a kit that has been so desired by a few of us is comming out from at least 2 poss. 3 Manufactures in the same year. I'm sure one will cancel. The Question is will you build it? On another web site forum someone was surprised that this kit caused such a buzz, "after all its just a model of a large artillery piece". I know I'll build at least one.
Sundown
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 12:05 PM UTC
At $100 Cdn it's relatively cheap for such a kit that size. I'll wait for the reviews to come out first and even if it's rated as average, I will buy one for sure.

Tiger101
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 12:18 PM UTC
Just in case you have not seen it.
Morser Karl Gerat
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 12:32 PM UTC
Will I build it?You betcha!
If DML only makes the 60cm version,and Trumpeteer makes a 540,It looks like I will be buying two.And the third manufacturere,willl do the early suspension,.......
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 01:03 PM UTC
The way i see it, Yes i'll build DML,s Karl and i'll do Tristar's 540mm as well. This is just a great gift to german armour and lets us know the companies are finally listening to us complain about the prices of resin kits. To me this is just the fisrt step, i can see a case full of 1/35th railway guns. so my qeustion is: When are the rest of the guns going to be released in 1/35th? Another one is can we get a kreigs locomotive for less than $200? I ask because so far these last 2 years it's been ask and you shall receive for the big companies. Lets keep em coming stug
moville
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 54 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 01:06 PM UTC
It's artillery technically... but so is the stug and sturmtiger and those have sold quite well. I don't think they'll have a problem moving that kit... it is afterall German . I'll build one, but probably not until next year. I have way too many kits in the mean time and Dragon kits take me a little longer (more parts).
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 415 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 02:09 PM UTC
It looks like a neat kit, but I've got a 100 kits in front of it and I doubt if I'd get to it before The grim reaper comes calling. I'll be turning 61 next month, but if I buy it, I can't die before I finish it.
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 02:38 PM UTC
I'm going to build it too. I had thought about building the Hasegawa version but once I heard these were coming I thought I decided to wait.
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 04:12 AM UTC
I pre-ordered the DML one and will most likely pre-order the Tri-Star one, but it remains to be seen if I will actually get to building it. Most likely I will, but my kit closet is pretty darn full and it is getting more additions every day. :-)
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 04:32 AM UTC
Hi guys.
I've got way too much in the closet right now to justify getting that big gun.
Actually, I'm not much interested. It's German, and like the Sturmtiger, in about a month there will be more of the kit built than there were Karl's in real life!!

Cheers
Andy
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 04:41 AM UTC
For those of you want a free Karl Morser, check out the DSB Contest thread - Pig's finest hour, the prize is a Karl.
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 07:03 AM UTC
SS-74 You seem to have the ear of Tri Star... How long before they release their version? It seems that Trumpeter may have shelved the 54cm version for now. its no longer listed on any listing I've seen on the web.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2003 - 01:30 AM UTC
I promised myself that i would not buy any kits this year as i have about 20 unbuilt kits and i want to build these. This is the only thing that will tempt me to stray! i think it looks so cool.

Famous last word or what?
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2003 - 02:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

SS-74 You seem to have the ear of Tri Star... How long before they release their version? It seems that Trumpeter may have shelved the 54cm version for now. its no longer listed on any listing I've seen on the web.

Tiger talked to teh Tristar people last Sunday, it seems that their version won't be out till after Jan 31.

If I have to bet on quality, I will bet on Tri-star's Karl. Seems to be obvious to me that the DML one is a haste come back to try to compete with the Tri-Star one.
Rhino
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 28 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2003 - 02:45 AM UTC
I don't build German subject matter that often, but this is a must build. Just to interesting to pass by!
SGT_Fubar
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 168 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2003 - 04:45 AM UTC
If I can find it and afford it at the same time I will probably buy it. Then its just a matter of time to build it.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2003 - 05:24 AM UTC
Ok, who's doing the interior details?

thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2003 - 07:18 AM UTC
Hey guys ...I was in Montreal yesterday and Hobby Jonction is preoredering the DML kit at $79.00 canadian(that's about $50.00 U.S.)!!! Guess who's on the list!! ME! I bet the Tristar will be better so I guess I'll just have to get both...hey I'll have almost as many as the Germans had ..Lol!

Richard
p.s. Hobby Juction phone number is 1-514-631-3504
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2003 - 07:39 AM UTC
If I have to bet on quality, I will bet on Tri-star's Karl. Seems to be obvious to me that the DML one is a haste come back to try to compete with the Tri-Star one

I'll bet your right on the Quality issue. Tri-stars's should be better. Their track record so far has been Great You said in another post that you thought that DML was trying to beat out Tri-star with the kit. I don't think so. They both prob. started development around the same time. Building a master and getting the molds tooled can't happen over night. Tri-star didn't announce that they would be doing this kit long ago (or am I wrong)?

DML seems to want to move back into the market with the 10th anniversery issues. I've never heard of a manufacturer doing this type of marketing.

Maybe they are all finally listening to what we want. the next few months will tell as far as DML goes. 12 "new" kits in one year from DML This hasn't happened in a long long time.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2003 - 02:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If I have to bet on quality, I will bet on Tri-star's Karl. Seems to be obvious to me that the DML one is a haste come back to try to compete with the Tri-Star one

I'll bet your right on the Quality issue. Tri-stars's should be better. Their track record so far has been Great You said in another post that you thought that DML was trying to beat out Tri-star with the kit. I don't think so. They both prob. started development around the same time. Building a master and getting the molds tooled can't happen over night. Tri-star didn't announce that they would be doing this kit long ago (or am I wrong)?

DML seems to want to move back into the market with the 10th anniversery issues. I've never heard of a manufacturer doing this type of marketing.

Maybe they are all finally listening to what we want. the next few months will tell as far as DML goes. 12 "new" kits in one year from DML This hasn't happened in a long long time.

Hi Tiger, the reason I said this is for the following:

1. The trend of DML release have been in the last one year or so that they will release a rumour on the coming kits, then release some pictures, and later on with detailed pics, etc. (Just check out their Nashorn release trend). For a project that big I think DML would let us know something, not just bang! give it to us, and do the pre-ordering.

2. DML has very close association with Hasegawa now, it's very easy to use the engineering program nowadays and COmputer tooling machine to reproduce the previous 1/72 kit into 1/35 with minor improvement.

This is just what I thought.....and I have no investment in Tri-star... #:-)
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2003 - 03:34 PM UTC
:-) Never thought you did! Just thinking out loud my self. :-)

DML has kept all of it's anniversery releases very quiet.

I'm looking foward to Tri-stars release also. I hope one or both follow up with the pzkw IV muniton trager.

Competion between manufacturers = better product to the consumer (I hope)
beachbm2
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 400 posts
Armorama: 151 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2003 - 08:51 PM UTC
Hi Guys
This one is not on the plate for me, sorry I gave up german stuff awhile back. Now if someone would bring out 240mm How, or a Matador with 5.5 inch or a Diamond T tank transported in plastic then I would break my wrist going for my wallet so faet!
Just My 2 Cents
Jeff Larkin aka beachbm2
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 12:33 AM UTC
First sorry for putting up my Topic after yours TigerI didn't look that somebody had put one up. Well I think as it is here that Dragon is easier to get then Tristar only 2 hobbyshops and one don't carry Tristar so either mailorder or pay the full price. I want one either way. Just wish somebody would do the M4 carrier in plastic
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 12:04 PM UTC
Sgtreef post away not a problem. :-) More posts bring out more hits. Can you educate me on the M4 carrier? Are you talking about the rail transport for the Morser Karl Gerat?

If so Trumpeter was rumored to be doing the 60 and 54 cm Karl Gerat, the rail transport unit, and the leopold all in 1/35 this year or next. #:-)

I'll run out of room with just built models forget about dio's. Ouch my head is spinning.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 01:13 PM UTC
I would build it, but the new Nashorn and Tamiya's Pershing must come first.

Rob
 _GOTOTOP