_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
First Timer
63chevyvette
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 12:04 PM UTC
I am new to doing armor and was wondering if anybody could give me some tips on painting and weathering. Thanks
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 345 posts
Armorama: 311 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 12:41 PM UTC
Hi and welcome to armorama, and armor modeling too. Try the armor-talk forum and when there click on the techniques option, a whole buncha things will come up. You could also repost this question there. Good luck and happy modeling

Ralph
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 01:16 PM UTC
Welcome to the site, thats quite a broad question answer!!!!!! The best tip I can give is be patient. This is supposed to be fun and theres no point in doing it if your going to get stressed out with the perfect Paint job. As far as the rest i'd say search as well there are to many techniques out there to list so i'd find one that sounds fun to me and try it, the other option is the old imagination, think about how it can be done and then try it out, i was very surprised at sme of the tricks i've seen where people just thought about it for awhile. The last place i think to ask a question is the chat room here on Armorama, we discuss alot of things there and we love to help solve problems....welcome and goodluck stug
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 01:20 PM UTC
Well well Private you finally managed to sign up.

BTW, Mike which Armor kit do you have?

Mike
63chevyvette
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 02:56 PM UTC
I got 2 kits: (both plastic)
-AMX 13 75 by Heller humbrol
-T-26A by Mirage

I am a serious car modaler but recently got into doing armor, and i picked up these kits very cheap at a modal meeting, i have a friend that is going to help me weather and paint but i want to find my own ways to weather and paint. Thankz
63chevyvette
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 02:57 PM UTC
mike,
I didn't see that it was you who put that message up, guezz,
cya l8er
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 08:30 AM UTC
Hi Michael. - Like stug mentioned, this would be a very, very long winded answer. You are actually better off buying some good book's on this subject. I can recommend the one's pictured below, and I've also included the URL's so you can go directly to their order pages at Great Models Webstore

http://www.greatmodels.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=ka12232

http://www.greatmodels.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=ka12058

- ralph
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 09:23 AM UTC
Hi Michael:
Wellcome to the armor modelling. This is a wonderfull activity because it`s very creative and armor vehicles does permit you to imagin a universe of diferent situations where you can place them. You can just build thtm, weather them and place them on the shelf or build dios to place them in.
For me the best publication to start with is "Modeling Tanks and Military Vehicles" by Sheperd Paine, Kalmbach books Editions. Another one is "Basic Military Vehicle Modelling" by Jerry Scutts, Compendium Modelling Manuals.
Both publications teach you the thecniques without centering the attention in a special kind or type of vehicle.
If you need help just ask for.
What kind of armor are you going to buil ?
63chevyvette
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 10:55 AM UTC
Screaming eagle, thanks for the idea of the books, I didn't think about that untill now.

csch, Thanks for the book ideas also and I am building tanks and guntrucks. Right now i am building an isralian tank from ww2.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 11:01 AM UTC
welcome to the site 63chevyvette

The best tip I can give you is Practice and paitance.. it takes time.. I started building last year and i'm slowly impoving myself. also the 2 books that screaming eagle showed you are great starts i have both of them.

and if you have questions feel free to ask in the forums or in the chat room i'm sure someone here will help you out.

oh and do you mean a WWII tank used by the Israili's? I am about 99% sure they were not actualy in WWII

http://home.ceinetworks.com/~delbert3/
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 01:11 PM UTC
Hi 63chevyvette:

I forgot this:
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/helpdesk.asp#tech_tips
in this place you can find a lot of tech tips (aircraft, armor, painting, etc...)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 01:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am about 99% sure they were not actualy in WWII

Whoa - talk about Hypothetical Armor Modeling - Israel WW II...

Gunnie
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 01:56 PM UTC
That AMX 13 is a French tank that came out after WW2. Isreal used them post WW2 during the multitude of conflicts that occured in that region since the end of WW2. Fairly "modern" tank that is more of a "post war" (the time frame referred to after WW2 to present day) tank.

You've probably got the same one I have with all the anit-tank missiles and Israeli markings. It is a decent kit that suffers from Heller's tendacy to over-engineer their kits. Their motto is "why do it in 2 parts when 7 is more fun?" On the plus side, doing armor is more forgiving than automobiles. Paint jobs are never perfect, except when it comes out of the factory. Most Israeli tanks at that time were obtained from elsewhere and probably had multiple coats of paint from previous owners prior to them being Israeli equipment.

Also, the fins on the missiles are very thin. The Heller kit has them fairly thick. Sand them to a more appropriate thickness.

Osprey Modelling Manuals #10 Modelling Postwar Tanks is also a good book reference for building tanks.
63chevyvette
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 02:06 PM UTC
Sabot, Thanks for the tips on the AMX 13, I'll do what you said by sanding down the fins. I got it from an IPMS meeting awhile ago and just got around to trying it, but it wasn't started so i hae been doing it from the begining. It should be down within 2 weeks or so, so if you want to see it i'll post it than. Thankz again
63chevyvette
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2003 - 02:03 PM UTC
HEY ALL
If you could keep the posts coming I still need some books that would help me with painting and Weathering.
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 12:10 AM UTC
Check out the book Panzer Modelling Masterclass by tony greenland. It's an excellent reference for basic to advance modeling techniques with detailed descriptions of how to drybrush with oils and how to make washes, etc. Very helpful for me to develop my armor modeling skills. Another thing to have a look at is the articles here, and on track-link and missing-links, but sometimes they can be a lot of information at once. Don't try to do everything on your first model....I would lightly weather the first one and build up from there as you develop your technique. When i want to try a new technique I like to use a cheap model that I don't have a lot of time and money invested in....that way if I screw it up, I haven't lost that much of either. Also new techniques don't always come out exactly like you hope the first time around...for me often it takes the second or even third try before I get the result I want. good luck and have fun !
 _GOTOTOP