_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Which parts do you paint separately?
Ego
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2006 - 02:28 PM UTC
Apologies if this has been asked before but this is my first attempt at figure painting.

When painting figures, in my case I have 1:32 Airfix US Infantry multipose plastic figures, do you attach all the extra equipment like rifle, ammo pack, water bootle, back pack, holster, helmut etc to the figure unpainted or is it better to paint these items separately and then glue to figure when finished.

I also have a similar question about the face and hands or flesh colour parts, paint separately or attached to body first.

Cheers,
Ethan
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2006 - 02:55 PM UTC
I prefer to paint all the equipment separately and glue them to the figure, when finished. That way I eliminate the risk of ruining the uniform paintjob, when painting the backpack or a granate.

Some glue all items to the figure and then paint it. It's all a matter of what you're comfortable with.
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2006 - 03:28 PM UTC
Personally leave all the kit off and glue on with CA after. If flesh parts are separate leave them till later as well.

HTH

Andy

squeakyclean
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2006 - 03:45 PM UTC
I build the entire thing and then paint it, perhaps leaving off an arm or whatever if there is an awkward spot to paint. I find this method works best for 'blending' everything together, although a small brush is required for drybrushing!

I'd try out both ways and see what you feel most happy with.

Cheers mate and happy painting.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2006 - 05:22 PM UTC
I'll assemble any body parts (except the head which is easier to paint separately) that look like they might need filler. I leave of any equipment and paint those parts as individual pieces.
tutdiesel
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 251 posts
Armorama: 187 posts
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2006 - 10:31 PM UTC
Until coming to this site I used to paint everything seperately until I started seeing the work some people did here. That changed everything. Now I fine it a lot easier to build the figure then paint, especially when painting camo. Gear I usually paint seperate.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 12:30 AM UTC
I paint gear separately, and add it later with CA as well. It works well for me, but we all have our own styles. Whatever feels right to you is what you should stick with.

Mike

WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 945 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 12:41 AM UTC
I assemble everything and prime it first. Then paint. The only thing I left off is the head or hands if it's applied.

I know it is more difficult to paint, but there is an advantage to it. I felt I can study the shadow and hightlight to the figure and use the color accordingly.

I also spent most of the time painting head because it's the focal point. I'm not too big on whites in the eye balls unless situation calls for.

WC
Ego
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 01:38 AM UTC
Thanks for the excellent feedback. So there is no right way or wrong way but I will try painting separately first.

This maybe another silly question but when painting bits like the water bootle, back pack and holster do you ever leave them on the sprue, just for easier handling?
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 945 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 01:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This maybe another silly question but when painting bits like the water bootle, back pack and holster do you ever leave them on the sprue, just for easier handling?

No question is silly on this forum. Ethan, you should take the off the sprue. I know it's easier to handle but later you have to come back and clean the seams and touch up the spot. This to me will be more difficult to do than just attach them on to the body.

WC
Ego
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 03:23 AM UTC
ok thats good to know, cheers
 _GOTOTOP