Hosted by Darren Baker
Centurian Mk. 5 Colors
shado67
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 220 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 10:36 AM UTC
OK, I had to pick one up. I normally dont build Vietnam era armor but the AFV Centurian Mk 5 is one cool looking beast.

My question for the Australian experts is what color Green was used on it and what is a good model paint to use? I use Humbrols mostly but have access to Model Master and Tamiya paints as well.

Will this kit make into some other country's Centurian without going after market? Was this model used by Great Britain or Israel?
samd1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 10:55 AM UTC
Gday Mike,

About the best colour to use for Aussie green is Gunze H303. A close tamiya colour would be Nato Green (XF something!), but with a little brown added.

Im pretty sure the Israelis' used vanilla Mk 5's at some point, and the Brits definately used them.

Sam
AVRE165
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 145 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 11:02 AM UTC
hi

you said :--

My question for the Australian experts is what color Green was used on it and what is a good model paint to use? I use Humbrols mostly but have access to Model Master and Tamiya paints as well.

Will this kit make into some other country's Centurian without going after market? Was this model used by Great Britain or Israel?

ok a rather big question to answer, but there is some big replyies on this site and missing links modern.

colour. well i just painted mine as a base coat in humbrol french artillary green, no longer availble. but you can make the colour using a green and some yellow

what can you build out of the kit. 75 % of all centurion users including Uk.

ie, mk 5, mk5/1 mk 5/2, mk6 /mk 6/1 and LR long range ( ear fuel tank) uk , canadian, swedish strv 102, swiss pz 87, dutch, denmark, israeli, jordan, egypt. and australian, south africa

if you to buy AA etch brass ( side skirts and headlight mesh) for a mk11 and a105mm from AA you can build mk11 plus later versions of other countries less those with engine upgrades.

the kit as a lot of extra parts you do not use on the australian version.

hope this helps ossie

Smokeyr67
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 145 posts
Armorama: 137 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 11:24 PM UTC
Hi Mike,

I've got to respectfully disagree with all the experts on this issue - every colour that I've seen recommended for Aussie Centurions are way too dark. Personally I like lifecolour UA003 (Olive drab faded). This is the colour closest to what I recall being on the real thing, and comparing it to my photographic references it certainly passes the TLAR test!

Smokey

P.S. Heres a link to one vendor in North America. http://www.militaryhobbies.ca/product.cfm?ProductID=1133
 _GOTOTOP