Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 08:58 PM UTC
I have some plaster buildings on my workbench... The plaster is dusty and I think I have to wash it in order to get rid of the dust before gluing and painting. How do you guys work with plaster?

Mario.
Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 343 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 04:41 AM UTC
Wash plaster? Won't that ruin the casting?

You can use a stiff bristled tooth brush to clean it a bit, for example. Even if you make some scratches or take some bits apart , you can fix them with wall spackle compound diluted in water a bit.

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 05:40 AM UTC
Nope - no washing. Use the previous suggestion or use your airbrush with no paint to 'blow' the dust away - or both.

If you wash the kit, you will 'soften' the detail and rub some away or weaken the entire piece and it could break.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 11:31 AM UTC
I thought water could damage the plaster, but I thought I should ask anyway. Airbrushing away the dust seems like a good idea... one more way to use the airbrush.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it!

Mario.
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,829 posts
Armorama: 881 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 02:20 PM UTC
hi there, I make buildings of my own, and after scribing in all the little details they get verry dusty.
So I just spray them with a liquid filler that is used to brush onto newly plastered walls.
It lays a tinny layer of 'plastic' onto the model en makes it easier to paint without the paint being absorbed in the plaster.
Hope they have a hobby market in your area, I bought mine in a place called Gamma ( all u Begians or Dutch will know what I talking about:) )

greetz Peter
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 03:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So I just spray them with a liquid filler that is used to brush onto newly plastered walls.
It lays a tinny layer of 'plastic' onto the model en makes it easier to paint without the paint being absorbed in the plaster.

Hi Mario. The few plaster pieces that I have used, I did pretty much as Peter suggested. I mixed up some white glue and water 50/50, and painted it on with a soft brush, making sure none pooled in the detail. The plaster will soak in some of the glue-water mix, leaving the surface not as pourous or dusty when dry, making it ideal for painting.
Do all your dry fitting before this stage, so any sanding or other work can be cleaned up in the same process.
 _GOTOTOP