_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Satchells
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 345 posts
Armorama: 311 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 10:27 AM UTC
Im not sure if that is what they're actually called, but I'm refering to the small "bags" that you often see suspended from the sides of tank turrets and such.
Lately companies like Tamiya mold these things with two little tabs sticking out from the top, my question is, how should these be mounted. I usually see them on models just sort of stuck to the side of a turret, but do they have a small strap on the top (hence the two tabs), or two straps like a back-pack? or is it something else all together.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 10:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

do they have a small strap on the top (hence the two tabs), or two straps like a back-pack?

In a word: Yes.

most would have a single strap, but some are kanpsacks or rucksacks that would have two shoulder straps. Straps were attached to all sorts of things on vehicles. Most U.S. vehicles are covered with small tie-downs and straps could be looped through these. Soemtimes crews strung wire or rope around turrets or along the sides of vehicles and hung stuff off of these. Any projection from the vehicle could become a hanger.

Quoted Text

I usually see them on models just sort of stuck to the side of a turret

This is why you should never use another model as a reference. Unless it's a knapsack full of magnets, it can't just "stick" to the side of a vehicle.
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 03:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is why you should never use another model as a reference. Unless it's a knapsack full of magnets, it can't just "stick" to the side of a vehicle.

exactly, thats why I asked. I guess I should have been more specific though. I want to use the grousers on the turret of my M5 as the hanger. I've been being dense and can't figure out how to model this. Should I make a strap(s) from masking tape and loop them through the gaps in the grousers then back onto the sack, or should I just make a strap and suspend the pack from the top of the grouser. I know this sounds nitpicky and I'm sure the answer is obvious. But my M5 is turning out nice and so I dont want to screw it up with this last detail.

Ralph
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2003 - 10:36 AM UTC
Sure, hang 'em on the grousers. I'd hang them from the top, rather than get too complicated and frustrated trying to loop them in between.

Masking tape might work for the straps, but I prefer lead foil because I can get it to drape and lay more naturally. Give your idea a try -- if it doesn't work, pop it off and try again.
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2003 - 11:29 AM UTC
lead foil huh? That didn't even cross my mind. I actually have some laying around someplace. Thanks for the tip Hollowpoint

Ralph
 _GOTOTOP