_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Vinyl Tracks for M270 kit?
osjohnm
Visit this Community
Western Cape, South Africa
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 04:05 AM UTC
Hi all

Are there any aftermarket manufacturers that make one-piece vinyl tracks for the Dragon/DML M270 kit?

Thanks
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 04:53 AM UTC
Well, since the MLRS is a lengthened Bradley chassis, you could use three tracks from an Academy or Tamiya M2/M3 kit and cut and glue to fit.
osjohnm
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 07:26 PM UTC
If I'm understanding this I have to purchase 3 kits in order to get the vinyl tracks? Ouch!!

Are there aftermarket vinyl tracks for the M2 that wouldn't cost so much?

On a slightly different note, how tricky is it to assemble the dragon track links? I assume that I would have to paint before assembly?

Forgive my ignorance, new to armor kits, only used the tamiya one-piece vinly tracks so far.

Thanks
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 08:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If I'm understanding this I have to purchase 3 kits in order to get the vinyl tracks? Ouch!!

No, two kits would give you enough vinyl to complete both sides. You would only need three separate vinyl track strips. One for each side and a third strip to cut in half to use part of it on the right and the other half on the left.

I am not aware of any aftermarket vinyl M2/M3 tracks for sale, but if you contact Tamiya, you can buy three vinyl track pieces from them at a reasonable cost plus shipping.

Another method would be to post a message on various modeling boards asking if anyone has any spare Bradley tracks. Many folks replace them with individual track links by either Fruil or Academy and would have the vinyl tracks as excess.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2006 - 02:42 AM UTC
The Dragon kit tracks are not really that hard to assemble and they usually come out looking much better than rubber band track.. I assemble them in multi-part runs and then attach them to the vehicle. Painting and weathering is left to last, right before attaching them to the completed (painting and weathered) vehicle. Best way I find is to first build a long top run and a long bottom run, then make the angled bottom portions. Lastly, I make the curved parts that go around the drive sprocket and idler wheels. I connect the angled parts to the lower run, then attach the curved parts to the upper run. Once the track is in two pieces per side, I paint and weather it. Next, I attach it to the vehicle and join the upper and lower runs in place. A final drydrushing and dusting blends it all together.

Good luck.
osjohnm
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2006 - 02:12 PM UTC
Thanks guys

Will attempt to use the individual links otherwise I'll see what I can find the Buy,Sell and Trade forum.

_GOTOTOP