_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Trumpeter KV-1E
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 04:39 AM UTC
On the weekend I found myself with some time and inbetwen projects. So I decided to crack open my KV-1E which I am using for the Tank Ace campaign (Kolobanov). I cracked open the box and started at it. All I can say is WOW. What a great build. The instructions are great. The moldings are crisp and the fit is good. Trumpeter has done a great job. I dont think a day has gone by that I havent been at the bench for atleast a few minute(hours). :-) Im glad I still have the other 5 KV-1's to build along with that KV-2 and Sturer Emil. I recommend this kit most highly.

Well, back to the bench for awhile
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 04:54 AM UTC
I have my eye on the German version with the cupola and the long 75mm. I'll be picking it up soon. Your glowing recommendation has motivated me that much more. I already have several Trumpeter kits but haven't started any yet.

Tom
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 1,148 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 05:29 AM UTC
Oh, ya. The trumpeter KV's are great builds and pretty quick too. I have built the KV-1 E and the Heavy Cast turret. Fantastic.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 06:44 AM UTC
Considering I've fallen victim to the brutal Trumpeter scheme around the different variants (including the German version) and now have them all in the stash, this is good to hear. :-)
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 11:33 AM UTC
Nice thing is, while Trumpeter is trying to get a lot of mileage out of the tooling, they still have altered the relevent components for each subvariant, and I don't just mean the turret shells. As you work through the series, you find that they have anticipated the need for different engine decks, different driver's hatches, different road wheels and rollers. Very cool. Hope they take a break from 1/48th kits long enough to finish up the series with a KV-1S, KV-85 and SU-152. Also like the link and length tracks with premolded droop between the return rollers, and the soft vinyl alternate track is much nicer than the tracks in the Eastern Express or Tamiya kits.
The only real need for photoetch is the engine deck intake grills, and these are available as mini-sets from both Aber and Eduard. Part has a nice comprehensive set that is also good. The larger Eduard set actually has a poorer grill than their small set. The Lion Roar set does not have correct grills, alas, though they do throw in a turned metal barrel.
Sandy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 628 posts
Armorama: 405 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 01:43 PM UTC
Hi all , I am now working on my 11th KV and plan on building the main 15 types of the 64 I have identified so far, they are all variations on turret fit to hull and applique armour or road wheel useage etc . cheers ian
 _GOTOTOP