_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
BTR-80A Turret
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 08:41 PM UTC
Hi All,
Just looking at the instructions for the above Zvezda kit (no. 3560)
On top of the turret part no. E9 (look like a truck gearshift with a corrugated rubber sheath).
What is it? Any ideas please on a postcard too.... :-)
TIA
Tom
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 08:59 PM UTC
Hi Tom,
could you please post a picture of the instructions sheet to make it clearer ? I built a SP Designs BTR-80A earlier but can't figure out what kind of part it could be.

Olivier
allycat
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 10:08 PM UTC
sorry, no scanner.
The part's centre rear of turret in step 24 of the instructions with no detail painting instructions (strangely enough the parts not shown in step 25 or in the final painting guide0.
The part.
12mm high
4-5mm wide at the base thinning about 50-60% up to 2-3mm with a small extension on top (reminds me of a joystick controller which is what I first thought it might be. But their's nowhere for a controller to sit. There's no-one in the turret of an 80A) Apart from the very top section the part's covered in 'rubber booting (like you'd find at the base of a car gearstick or handbrake).
Tom
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 11:19 PM UTC
It sounds like an antenna mount. Have you tried doing a Google image search for BTR-80A images to try and find it on a real vehicle?

I have noticed that on both the box top art and in many of the BTR-80A images that the wheels and tires appear to be a later wider version than the original BTR-80 tires. Too bad the newer tires aren't included.

I have attached a couple of links that shows the part sprues and a completed model. Can you direct us to the part in question?

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2005/may/first-looks/zvezda_btr80a-review-lg.php

http://cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/zve/build_zve_btr-80a.shtml

allycat
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 02:20 AM UTC
Jason,
1st link, 5th photo, left hand sprue (the smaller one), top left hand corner part.
It doen't look like an antenna mount to me, the part is tilted towards the front of the vehicle by 30 odd degrees.

The second link doesn't work for me.
Tom
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 02:53 AM UTC
Tom,

I see the part you mean. Could it be some kind of rubberized shroud for a weapon?

I can't see the part on the completed model in the second link.

Are there other versions of the BTR-80 produced by Zvezda that it could be used for?
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 09:03 AM UTC
i will look into it once I get home tomorrow and can get my hands on my kit.

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 10:11 PM UTC
Ok, I took a look. The piece is, by my best guess, supossed to be either a control arm or a ammo feed. However, it is in a unusual place and none of my references show it. Zvezda has done a really good job with the turret otherwise, so it is strange that they would mess this up...maybe it is from a prototype or museum piece?

I have not built the turret yet, so I will try to get to it in the next week and try to puzzle out a solution.
Buster99
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 02:14 PM UTC
Hello Guys,

I am new here but I also started building the BTR80-A.
Having looked at the part before I am quite sure that it is used for elevation control of the main gun. Probably an actuator arm that is covered by a rubber booth.
I did see some fotos of other builds and the subject part was left of.

Problem seems to be that when you try to use the part, elevation will be fixed and the main gun will be pointing almost straight up (like 70 degrees)

I hope this provides some help.

Greetings, Marc
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 09:47 AM UTC
Hey Gary, thanks for the photos...none of my references have nice close shots that near to the turret interior. Yup, I see what you are getting at, and fully depressed is fullydepressing. Oh well, at least with it in the elevated position it is easy enough to cut down rather than having to build one up.
 _GOTOTOP