_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Early M50 progress (pics)
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 03:53 AM UTC
This is my first post here in RRB.
The tank is DML/DML hybrid with number of scratchbuild and added details.
Hull is from the DML M4A4 which I shortened by about 5 mmto the correct lenght. M50 turret is also by Dragon, kindly donated to me by John aka DRAGONWAGON.Tools, .50 MG, sprockets and idlers are from Academy, various sets.Weld seams are made with stretched sprue, melted with styrene glue Whats left to add is some stowage on the rear rack, cover over the horn, MG ammo box and tracks (3 pieces per link, makes me sick after the first 40 links).
What do you guys think?

Cheers
Grzegorz

seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 04:15 AM UTC
Dear Pedro
As always nice jobs and with your outstanding painting skills, this will turn into a nice piece of works
Cheers
Seb
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 05:35 AM UTC
Pedro

That looks great What color will it be painted?
slynch1701
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 290 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 06:14 AM UTC
looking good so far. look forward to seeing it finished. One question, and this is from my igonorance on the subject. Weren't these supposed to have the HVSS suspension or was that only the M51?

Sean
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 12:52 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments gyus!

Chad, it will be painted in OD, brownish and heavily faded.

Sean, I'm building this for the Suez Campaign and at the time of the Suez crisis
Israelis had only VVSS Shermans, this includes early M50's
Just as the one here:
http://idfmodelling.free.fr/refview.php?name=ref_veh_pictures/sherman/m50_08

Cheers
Grzegorz
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 01:45 PM UTC
Hi Pedro,

This looks like and excellent build. You added a lot of nice sharp detail to the kit. Look forward to seeing the finsihed product. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Cheers

Al
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 06:39 PM UTC
Nice work! I have a few suggestions.

It seems that the rear stowage rack is missing the rear peice. There should be 2 pcs that folded up to stow; you have it welded to the rear hull.

the tracks should be T54E1 Metal chevron, not the T62 type. The T62 type was common in WW2, but post war they not common. Most israeli Tanks sported the stell chevron tracks and not therubber blocked variety.

I love the IDF Stuff! Can't wait to see you get some paint on it

Chris
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 08:08 PM UTC
Thanks for comments Al and Chris!

Chris, with the stowage rack at the rear I copied the design from the later HVSS M50 (and used the parts from it) so you may be right that on the early M50 it should be the M4/M4A1 style rack. Unfortunately I don't have any clear photo of the early M50 rear and from the 2 models of early M50's Ive seen on the net one had the configuration as on mine, and the second had it as you pointed out
As for the tracks, T62 is the same type as the T54E1: Chevron steel tread, with the only difference being the T54E1 are composite welded and the T62 are composite riveted steel tread. That being said, you must be right about the T54E1 are correct for the israeli tank, as most photos show them fitted with tracks of that style. Only israeli tank sporting the T62 is in museum, so I assume it could have been retrofitted? I also think that it should be possible to make T54E1 by just removing the rivets from each link?

Cheers
Grzegorz

EDIT: Nope, theres too much difference between T54E1 and T62 besides rivets, so I think that T62 stays...
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
Armorama: 1,016 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 08:21 PM UTC
Haha, you definately should post more often then in the RRB

I have no comments about the construction, very well done!

Maybe one: the .50 screams for a gunbelt
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 08:52 PM UTC
Thanks Jurjen, I think I will post here more often!
The gun belt (and ammo box) will be there, I just left that off for painting purpose

Cheers
Grzegorz
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 12:04 AM UTC

EDIT: Nope, theres too much difference between T54E1 and T62 besides rivets, so I think that T62 stays...[/quote]

No worries, I think its safe to say with Shermans anything is possible - The IDF even fielded Small hatch M4A1s, 3pc tranny, and 105 and 76mm guns combos so......

Again, Nice work - Can't wait to see some weathering,
Chris
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 01:32 AM UTC
Outstanding stuff Pedro, I love to see a proper 'kitbash' come together. It's a pity (almost) that it has to be painted afterwards...
Two questions, the photo in the link you gave shows what look like solid dished wheels, rather than the solid spoked ones you are using. Same for the drive sprocket. Did the Israelis use the different wheels just as the Allies used them in WWII?
And the photo shows a single commander hatch, whilst you use a split hatch. Same reason?

You shortened the hull? You did a very neat job there Pedro, if there is a join, I can't see it.

Excellent, looking forward to further updates.

Cheers
Henk
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 03:31 AM UTC
Thanks for comments Chris and Henk!

Henk, I think it's pretty safe to say that they bashed the parts in the same fashion as Allies in Europe, besides Israelis bought their M50s in France Theres even a photo of a IDF VVSS Sherman fitted with what seems to be the HVSS type wheel : http://idfmodelling.free.fr/refview.php?name=ref_veh_pictures/sherman/m1_05
(see the wheel on the middle bogie). As for the hatch, I asked about that in the Suez campaign thread and INDIA11A stated it should be two piece, which info I think he got from "Israeli Shermans" book. I only shortened lower hull as this was too long, so the join is pretty much the same as in the original kit when the rear engine doors piece meets the hull sides

Cheers
Grzegorz
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 577 posts
Armorama: 446 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 07:17 AM UTC
Hey PEDRO. Found the picture of the M50 rear end. It was under my nose all the time. I scanned it from Tom Gannons Israeli Shermans. The pic was taken not long after the 56 war. Some did have the one piece hatches (last tank in left column). They had the spare track holders on the rear, standard storage rack, filler cap on engine deck and the barrel clamp on the deck. Hope this helps!!!

DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 501 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 11:04 AM UTC
Hey Pedro....

It's good to see you found such a great use for my old turret (which was gathering dust here!!).
I can't wait to see this Shermie in her first coat of paint....

Keep us posted,

Your friend, John.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 12:08 PM UTC
Whoa Doug, it helps a lot! I saw this picture on one of the sites but the quality was low so it was out of use for me. Now your scan really lightens some thing up Spare track holders sure will make nice detail, filler cap is no problem and I'll have to move the barrel holder forward to the deck. I will also try to dug out old storage rack from my M4A1 Do you know by any chance whats that square thing hanging from the edge of the rear armoured plate on the right? I thought it might be a box, like on the late M50s just in different location?

Hey John!
I'm really glad that you like what I did with the turret my friend

Cheers
Grzegorz
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 03:50 PM UTC
Gday Grzegorz
I love the look of this beauty! Never seen the combinations before, having not strayed from WWII...
I like the effort you have put in to make the periscope guards; they are well made! Also the springs on the loaders' hatch!
Would it make sense that with the periscope guards on the turret it would be fitting to have one on the commanders' hatch and drivers hatch periscopes?
Looking forward to seeing this finished
cheers
Brad
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 577 posts
Armorama: 446 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 06:32 PM UTC
Pedro, I am not sure what the square piece is on the back. It is very low on the upper hull. My only thought is that it could be a unit "plaque' attached for the parade. I do not think it is a "phone' box.
One other thing is the blue cross on the engine deck (air recognition), I had a couple made up (water slide decal that is) and if you want them P/M me and I will ship them to you. I had to trim a bit but with a bit of weathering it looks good.

Doug

Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 08:09 PM UTC
Hey Brad! Thanks for the comment! To make my life easier I based on this photo it displays an M50 with turret periscope guards but there are no guards on the drivers hatch, not sure about the commanders hatch though :-) I may add those if I don't get too fed up with making the tracks

Doug thanks for the reply and for your offer! However I think that it won't be too much hassle for me to just paint it on Anyway thanks

Cheers
Grzegorz
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 03:21 AM UTC
M'kay! :-)

I think I'm pretty much finished with the build, goes to paintshop tommorow!
Added a few more little details, like tracks filler cap, screen over the horn, moved gun travel lock, and modified storage rack. I also added some bolts cast in GreenStuff to the underside of the bogeys, as the italerish suspension provided by Dragon lacked them I wont be adding spare links racks to the back as I dont have any spare and I'm not in the mood to scratch them right now BTW , most of the track links are half movable as I glued each link only to two end connectors, allowing the other two to pivot while they are glued to the next link. I did it to facilitate taking them of for painting. Any of you guys tried that?

Cheers
Grzegorz

EDIT:
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 07:27 PM UTC
Hi, I painted the beast !
Here are some in progress pics, still have some weathering to do and stowage to add to the rack. The track are a bit sandy but that will tone down after some drybrushing wit steel colour, and after suspension will be equally dusted it should match the tracks ok Hope you'll like it!

Happy modeling!
Grzegorz

_GOTOTOP