_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Here Is My M1114 Hummer!
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 07:10 PM UTC
Well, I had to jump on the band wagon with Jeff on building the M1114. I already showed a couple of shots in Jeffs thread. Here is a good update. Even though I work at a maintenace shop, we haven't had the oppertunity to get our hands on the M1114 yet. So what I have been doing is using the parts manual for reference.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention that the "turtle shell", hood, and lower frame is not glued down yet to ease with painting, so ignore all the large gaps you see.

seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 07:28 PM UTC
Dear Epi
Really nice piece of work
All pieces are from Mig and the turttle turret is home build form SopMod design ???

Really nice
Seb
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 07:32 PM UTC
Great work as usual, Pete.
Looking forward to see more pics of this one.

Erik
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 10:08 PM UTC
Just great Pete. I guess that means that I have catch up to show mine . I'll try to get around to it tonight. Your rear looks great... no, no, no I didn't mean it like that...:-)

I don't recognize the wheel maker. Who's are they? They look beautifully done.

Also, what are the dimensions of the rear vertical panels on the back of the rear hatch? One further thing, do you have a good pic of the interior of the shell armor, specifically that cross bar?

I can tell that this is going to be a great model when finished.

Jeff
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 10:21 PM UTC
Jeff,
I will measure that panel tonight when I get home for ya. It took me a inute to figure out what you where talking about.

As for the interior pic of the shell, let me just pull out the ETM on it and pull the sheet out from the parts manual.

USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 10:42 PM UTC
Sweet. Thanks.

Jeff
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 377 posts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 10:51 PM UTC
Whoa, Pete, your really going all out on this puppy. Add the doors on it and it'll look just like the one I was on lol. Where did you get the turret armor? I have been debating whether I should try and make it myself or wait until someone else does. If you guys need any interior shots(specifically of ones looking down through the turret) I have em.

EDIT: Well except one thing. Are you doing a Marine version? I only ask because I dont ever recall seeing any Army units rolling around with the entire exhaust setup on the 1114.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 11:05 PM UTC
Zach,
Go to Jeff's post on his M1114 and I posted the measurements in a drawing on the turret armor.

I also sent you a PM about the interior shots. Without having the actual vehicle here in our motor pool, I have been using the Parts Manual for reference and at that, I am simplifing a lot of things.

Oh, on the rear exhaust. I assumed since it had the snorkle on the front, that it would have the rear exhaust set up, but that is an easy fix. A cut here and glue the muffler end in place and there we go.

jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 03:04 AM UTC
Wow someone is going hard with the AM parts. Great job so far Pete!

Definitely looking forward to more progress shots.
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 03:20 AM UTC
That is a beauty - lots of effort involved - i've only done an OOTB hummer for my entry.

Andy
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,558 posts
Armorama: 1,159 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 03:27 AM UTC
Stunning build! I can't wait to see the finished product.

By the way, what did you think of the MIG conversion set? I've bought it and plan to build it once I get my skills up to speed (it may take me a year or so, I'm afraid). Any pointers on the conversion's strong and weak points?
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 03:54 AM UTC
Damn I missed this one. Fantastic Pete!! This is looking really cool and very well detailed, I love the armoured weapons ring and hope to build one myself very soon with the details you sent me. I look forward to seeing it painted, its not fare we have to wait and I wish I had some money so i could buy this conversion. I really must not moan when I have about 20 or more different humvee detail sets and kits.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 05:32 PM UTC
Thanks guys for the comments. Unlike my Bradley, I am hoping I will at least finish this one.

Lucus,
The MIG set is pretty easy and straight forward. My "turttle back" was warped a little bit, but with a lighter, I managed to straighten it out. Test fit the pillers that go between the doors. I was confused about which one went to what side.
If you go to Jeff's post on his M1114, there are some more things we discussed about the set and I also posted some pages from the actual parts manual. Oh, the front and rear seats, although the cushion part is right, the underside is totally wrong and you can see that in Jeffs post with the parts manual sheets.
Dixon66
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 07:40 PM UTC
Pete,
Great looking so far, as usual!

Can you post some pics of the crossbar on the weapons ring supporting the side/rear armor and also pics of the support from the pintle to the front shield?

Of got the MIG conversion and some ProArt Super Swampers are on the way, I can't wait to start this one. Of course, there are three other HMMWVs in progress right now.

Dave S.

Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 07:55 PM UTC
Dave,
I have to shoot some more shots of some figures for a SBS tonight, I will take more shots of the turret also for you.

Dixon66
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 08:35 PM UTC
Thanks Pete,

PS. I'm working on creating CAD drawings based on the plans you posted in the earlier thread. As soon as completed I'll post them up.

Dave S.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 08:44 PM UTC
Cool Dave. Will we have to have a CAD program to look at them?
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 09:10 PM UTC
Depending on the software.. he can export them to a .jpg or a .pdf file directly.......
Dixon66
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 09:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Cool Dave. Will we have to have a CAD program to look at them?

No, I plan on placing them in a .pdf format.

Dave S.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 09:49 PM UTC
Here is a hot link to the post I originally set up that has various points about the MIG set.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/80932

I'll give my take on it as soon as I can get a free moment.

Jeff
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 11:35 PM UTC
In addition to what Pete has said allow me to add a little bit more. This is my first resin conversion and while I've worked with resin before, my CA gluing abilities and cutting are marginal. This project has really tested my scratchbuilding abilities and my ability to work with resin, but it is very managable. The exterior fits are pretty good and thus far it looks like little or no fillings will be necessary. I have had to add some shims to counter my errors in cutting, but as long as you test fit all along the way, then you'll be fine. The two biggest parts the freaked me out the most was the headlight extension, and the armored windshield mount. But they turned out ok. The interior seats sit high to me and in a real world, the way they fit wouldn't allow any leg room whatsoever.

The links below are pretty much the only reviews on the M1114. The construction piece is simply invaluable and I've used it more than the conversion instructions, as the Mig set instructions contain little 1.5x1.5in. or so pictures and thats about it. They do fine, but sometimes it just isn't enough. Also neither the conversion instructions nor the construction instructions have instructions or images on installation of the interior parts (minus the AC panel and left rear cargo wall), so thats the only down part as that is where I've had the most problems.

M1114 Review

M1114 construction

I like the conversion and its the only one on the market. So if you can find it for a good price (Blast-Models and ModelsbyMickster are the best), its worth it. Just keep test fitting and anyone who has had even some experience with resin can do it.

Jeff
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 06:45 PM UTC
David,
Here you go, more close up pictures of the cross bar on the turret armor. Really nothing fancy.

Jeff,
Go the measurments of the IFF Panel on the rear hatch. Its 36mm x 17mm.

Dixon66
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 08:20 PM UTC
Thanks Pete, that'll do nicely.

Dave S.

:[]-- I'm also working on a set of CADs for S-250 Shelters too.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 08:26 PM UTC
No problem David. If you need pictures from the parts manual for the S250 shelter, I have the manuals for our "TOW Hut".
Dixon66
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 08:43 PM UTC
Thanks, got them already.

Dave S.
 _GOTOTOP