_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
British troops in Normandy question
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 02:10 PM UTC
Hi all,
I'm busy trying to get the last bits and pieces of my dio and figures sorted out,another week to go and i should be finished!Anyways,to the point..i swapped the heads over from Tamiya's "British infantry on patrol" to Warriors set nr. 4 with camo helmets.My query is which colour should i paint the helmets with?I haven't been able to find any colour pics on the net from the Brits in Normandy so i'm hoping someone can help me out!!Good luck to everyone with the campaign .
Cheers guys,Shay

Edit(Forgot the capital N for Normandy in the topic title...)
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 04:56 PM UTC
Hi Shay,

If the helmets are covered with hessian then it is a light brown/buff colour and the netting green sometimes brown. Indviididual bits of hessian could be buff, brown or black or green.

When the helmet was covered the covering was often dabbed with black polish or mud/paint, anything to help break up the outline. Bits of stuff hanging off the netting could be brown, black, buff or green.

You can add some dust as well if necessary

Sorry I can't remember what the warriors Nr 4 set is like, I'll go and look it up.

Remember the idea is to break up the outline of the helmet so there would have been a lot of individual artistic licence. LOL LOL. As infantry soldiers would have been taught to change the camo in their helmets to suit the moment, time permitting.

Edit: couldn't get a great picture but the Nr 4 set seem to have folage in the netting, so a variety of green leaves with a hessian background should be OK.

Cheers

Al
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 06:37 PM UTC
Hi Alan,
Thanks for the tips mate.I will def. be using the colours that you have mentioned,plus i will add some leaves from the trees as seen below on an old in prog. photo.
Cheers,Shay

Warriors head set nr. 4

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 07:15 PM UTC
Hi Shay,

The helmets should fit in well with you setting, quite appropriate, very tactical

Adding a few bits of local vegitation is a good move.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP