what's your moss imitation technique?
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 02:40 AM UTC
Ola

I'm trying to make some moss imitation on my tower roof but don't really know what can be used for that. I tried using some modelling clay, but because the roof is made from plaster almost nothing sticks to it, plus it doesn't look very good.
I thought of using some sponge materials, but they are way too large for 1:60 scale (at least the ones that I have). I will try some other things that come into my mind, but in the mean time maybe you have some suggestion that you are willing to share??

Thanks for your help:)
Cheers,
dsc.
JohnLong
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 276 posts
Armorama: 46 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 04:01 AM UTC
Wait until you're ready to paint and then stipple some acrylic paint on it using greens and yellows. You may want to add a bit of medium to the paint. The object is to create texture, so keep stippling until the paint begins to dry. Continue to add layers until you get the look you're after.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Armorama: 1,174 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 05:32 AM UTC
would mr surfacer work? just a thought...

Frank
bodymovin
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 08:35 AM UTC
You could apply thinned white glue to where you want the moss and sprinkle baking soda or sifted dirt. Let dry and then paint.
Ian
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 1,735 posts
Armorama: 586 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 08:45 AM UTC
Tom if I read your post correctly you should be able to just get away with painting very diluted shades of green and very dark grey to simulate moss at 1/60. In reality most variety of moss doesn't grow much height-wise and even at 1/35 there isn't a whole lot of texture that can be picked out.

What you may need to consider as a suggestion is where to place it. Moss tends to grow well in darker, moist areas like drainpipes and walls near the ground which gets a lot of rain splatter. Exposed to the sun & heat it usually dries up. Hope that helps.
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 08:52 AM UTC
I use Woodland Scenics finest ground Turf. Here is some on a tree.

dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 02:37 AM UTC
Ola fellas

John: I tried a similar technique which included modeling clay. I used a dental tool to place the clay were I wanted it to be and than dabbed it with a toothbrush. It came out quite ok but not great. I wonder if your idea would give better results. Maybe you have some photos of it used in a diorama?

Frank: I think it might work, but I can't really get it anywhere in my area, so this method is a no no I guess.

Ian: I also thought about this and I will give it a try for sure:)

CK: I want to add it on the roof (but only some) and on the bottom walls of the tower. It's not much but I want to do it right. I was thinking of dark and quite bright green and yellowish colors.

John: is it possible for you to post a picture of the turf with a ruler or a coin next to it for scale purposes? I wonder if it would work in 1:60.

Thanks a lot for your replies guys:) I really appreciate it

Cheers,
dsc.
musicwerks
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 335 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 08:43 AM UTC
Hi,

I would use japanese green tea, not the leafy ones but rather those grind to powder form.

They are small but granular enough to simuate moss. Hold it down with white glue and give it a clear coat later.

Cheers

Music
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 11:06 AM UTC
Hi Tom,

I think for your scale pigments would work.
Allow me to show a work i finished some time ago.
The moss on the front stone (styrodur with a plaster coating) are pigments stabbled on. You can always ad more as you like.

Cheers
Claude
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 02:22 AM UTC
Ola guys

Lester: that's not a bad idea, I might try it as it should look similar to woodlands fine turf. Thanks for the idea:)

Claude: great idea:) I think this is a winner, cause I can make the moss thinner or thicker and add it almost anywhere I like. I can also use crushed dry pastels and fix it in place with some pastel fixative and achieve the desired thickness by applying several layers of pastels. Some color variation can also be added by mixing different pastels, some greens for the top layers and browns for the bottom. I'm eager to try it:)

Thanks for the ideas fellas:)

Cheers,
dsc.
garthj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 282 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 11:14 PM UTC
Hello all

I am sorry about such a late post but I have added moss to dioramas in the past quite successfully using florist's oasis. This is the soft, crushable stuff that is used for flower arranging to insert stems of plants. It can be readily crumbled into a fine powder and is (thankfully) green in colour. Sticks well with simple white glue / PVA and one block makes a huge amount of moss.Works well in 1/48 and 1/35 scale.

I can be bought from most florists or good hardware stores.

Hope this helps!!
Cheers
Garth

_GOTOTOP