_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
M44 shade for German uniforms
Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 05:55 AM UTC
Hi,
For all those who are painting the Dragon "Last Battle" figures, I made my own Olive Brown M44 shade from mixing 3 Vallejo colors.
-app. 7 parts field grey
-app. 3 parts light violet brown( the SS camo base color)
-and a few drops of camo dark brown
shake well and it should be a good close match.
Let me know how you did, I am using mine.

Chris
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 03:18 PM UTC
Here's what Ron Volstad has to say about the colour of the M1944 uniform in a thread over on track link
"It was made from various types of wool including captured Russia material, reworked German material and even a blanket quality material. The color thus ranged from the original green field gray, to brownish olive to various gray shades."

thread
Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 08:28 PM UTC
Hi Pat,
I should have stated in my thread that I took this from actually color photos of a M44 from the Histoire & Collections book by Jean de Lagarde, German Soldiers or WW2.

I was also trying to help people make Olive Brown shade, because I like to share any info that I have.

Chris- quasi-walking dictionary of Waffen-SS
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 02:54 AM UTC
I guessed that you were working from good sources but you can't say don't use field grey. As Ron Volstad points out there wasn't just one type of material and not just one colour for the M1944 uniform and AFAIK he works from original uniforms.
How are the Last Battle figures? I've been toying with the idea of getting them.
Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 03:37 AM UTC
Hi Pat,
I love the new figures, best I've seen. Better than resin and easier to use.

Okay, on the M44's. I just thought it would be cool to try the olive brown. I put it on, came out great.

Chris
RonV
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 - 05:58 AM UTC
Well guys, it just goes to show you that the learning curve never ends.
Not so long ago, I would have posted as Chris did, regarding the olive brown color.

However, I've since seen a largish number of original M44 jackets and was surprised by the variety of color and the variation in pattern. I chose to go the comfortable route with the actual pattern and used the one most are familiar with.

Unfortunately, the printing isn't always true to the original art but believe me, I did use a variety of shades to try to illustrate the disparity of color.
It did surprise me to see one M44 jacket in the early field gray shade, but
I was even further surprised to note that the material was closer to blanket cloth than uniform cloth.

Cheers,
Ron V
Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 08:05 AM UTC
Hi,
Thanks Ron, those comments mean a lot.
Basically, I was just trying to show people how to mix the Olive Brown color. I also have seen the M44 in various shades, sorry about making you think that their was only one shade. I have been mixing my own shades for different things for a while and was sharing how to make this one. Saves on having to buy more, the small glass bottles are so much cheaper. I might even get another set and use the SS style of medium grey to make some Wiking or Das Reich figures. I am using the Austria '45 to make Panzergrenadiers from the 7th PzGr Regiment, 7th Pz Division to go with a 251/1D

Ron, love your Dragon box art.

Chris- silly Waffen-SS figure painter
 _GOTOTOP