_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Base coat for plaster buildings
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 10:00 PM UTC
Hi guys,
I was just reading a post by another member "dsc" and he mentioned that hed had problems getting things to stick on to his plaster made building.
I work as an interior painter and i have to do alot of plastering.There is a product that we use to treat plastered walls before painting or wallpapering that can be bought from just about every hardware or D.I.Y shop for little money.
The substance usually comes in a litre bottle(or larger) white and milky in apperance and has to be thinned down with water before applying to any plaster.Can be applied with a brush or even a small pump spray.
Anyways if you ask at your local store for a product that leaves walls non porous they will know what i'm talking about.
It's great not only for plaster buildings but can also be used to seal any dio which has been coated with plaster etc. before painting.
Have a good w'end!
Cheers,Shay
garthj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 282 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 12:53 AM UTC
Hi
Yes, I must agree with Shay on this topic.

There are a number of sealing agents (some called bonding liquids) which seal loose and flaky plaster finishes. Most work quite well on sealing plaster finishes. Definitely agree, they work quite well.

Bye for now
Garth

jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2006 - 02:00 AM UTC
I found when sealing a wall in my home that the stuff that you dilute smells just like PVA [white] glue, so this is what I have used with water as a dilutant on a number of plaster buildings and it seems to have done the job, with no problems later.

John
pirate
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 12:25 AM UTC
In England the product is known as unibond available in nearly all the DIY stores, White glue or PVA is exactly what it is just thinned down.

Ordinary white glue thinned with water will do the same job.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 08:14 PM UTC
I use thinned white glue all the time on bases. Over plaster, and over bases that include polystyrene foam, as I use thinners that could melt the soft polystyrene. Just a large soft brush, and brush it in well. It means less paint will soak in and also does away with any scribing dust, that may be left.
garthj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 282 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2006 - 12:32 AM UTC
Hi all

By the way, for a really neat plaster finish, to scale, I suggest the following:

1. Coat polystyrene foam with tetrion, plaster, polyfill base.
2. While still wet, brush over with PVA / water mix.
3. Sift over dry plaster powder and shake off excess.
4. Let dry for 24 hours.Takes any paint well.

Looks great and gives realistic texture for drybrushing etc.

Cheers
Garth
 _GOTOTOP