_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Campaigns
Group builds and online competetions. Join the fun!
Hosted by Darren Baker
Cecina Italy Battle Diorama Update
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:10 AM UTC
Hello all,

Just wanted to post a weekend update from my progress on the Diorama.
For anyone that needs some background this is a diorama between an M4 Sherman and a Tiger tank in the city of Cecina Italy Total info on the city, battle and the 752nd Tank Battalion is found here: Cecina

I've finished wiring and staining the fence. Added a door lamp and power supply. Added some general items in the yards. Added the next door buildings foundation for reference. Added the power pole next to the Tiger. Rebuilt the steps for proper fit. And am still shreeding hemp string for the grass, at the rate I'm shreading it should be ready to apply by Christmas, most boring job to date.

Again Thanks for the taking the time to look, and please if you see something missing, needs addressing or have an idea let me know, most of the changes are from some excellent suggestions from Armorama members.

Thanks,
Bob

And to see my gallery: Gallery

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:31 AM UTC
Nice update. I like the exterior wiring.

One thing I noticed was the mortar lines on the exposed bricks. They seem to be the same color as the bricks. I would like to see some shadows in there with a wash of burnt umber or even a 1st coat of a light color for the mortar itself.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:32 AM UTC
Hi,

Nice update,
The house has really a more finished look now. The lamp over the door is a bit on the big side, is this a 1/35 lamp?
I see you cut the step in front of the door, good, that's really better now.

Cheers

Claude
tutdiesel
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 251 posts
Armorama: 187 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:35 AM UTC
WOW! That is quite the history and your diorama, in my opinion, captures the event perfectly. I thought the website you linked to was an excellent source of information with its maps and photos of the event. Great Job and I look forward to seeing more!
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 02:10 AM UTC
Bob, very nice start. You have a very interesting shaped base, the buildings look good, the layout is intriguing. I look forward to seeing your next updates. cheers Kevin
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 878 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 08:44 PM UTC
Hi there

It looks quite big - what are the measures? I like the composition with the house as background and the two tanks. Space is sometimes underrated I think.

Good luck with it

Simon
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 10:01 PM UTC
Thanks for the feedback guys,

Scott - I painted the mortar lines a light grey and the bricks a pinkish color and have put 1 coat of burnt umber over them. Should I go back and do the mortar lines a lighter color? I still have to add a lot of dust from the broken plaster over both the brick and mortar which will lighten both, I still have to dry brush a little also.
In the middle section at the damage site I actually used separate bricks and mortar to build up this section. If this is the area I may have to go back and fill in some mortar between the bricks if it doesn't show up enough.

Claude - Thanks for the idea on the step, and it does look a lot better. The Lamp is 1/35 scale but is a cutoff street lamp. Maybe if I reduce the lower section? Or maybe remove it all together? I'll try that, it does look a little large. Maybe I could replace that with one of the lamps like the one on the power cables on the side of the building. I'll try the 1st 2 and if it doesn't look good I'll replace the whole thing.

Matt - Thanks. It is a great story and I'm glad Bob Holt, the creator of the 752nd Tank Battalion
in World War II
site, has given his permission and one heck of a lot of help, info and instruction to make this happen.

Kevin - Thanks. If you haven't checked out the background on the whole story yet please do, it's really interesting.

Simon - From information supplied from Bob Holt, who's Father was in the M4 Sherman #11, the distance between the front of the Sherman, or the end of the barrel if you will, to the rear of the Tiger where the final shot was scored, was stepped off at approximately 30 yards or around (I'm trying to remember now I can get exact inches later) 28 Inches in 1/35 scale, adding on the building and the 2 road sections, I actually have no idea and will measure it at lunch and let you know. I'll just tack on an edit.

Thanks guys for taking the time to look and post your comments,
Bob
vonryan
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 02:12 PM UTC
Hi Bob. WOW & AGAIN WOW!!! great job can't wait to see it done. .
 _GOTOTOP