_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Legend's Merkava IV
catman31
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 166 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 01:30 AM UTC
Questions and comments about this kit:

I have completed the turret including the ball and chain armor. Wow, what a job. But it looks really convincing in that scale and really "sells" the tank. The detail here is beautiful - from the surface texture to the individual components. You really have to see it in person to know what I mean. It's one big chuck of resin and quite heavy for a 1/35 scale model, by the way. Oh yeah, you have to wear a mask when you take this model on. If not, you'll be hacking up resin dust for a month. No, really:)

Now moving on the the hull and suspension. The hull detail is quite stunning, too. But I will have to bathe it in warm water because the bottom and top hulls don't quite match up. Is this the best way to do that - the hot water thing?

My only other complaint about the kit as of now is the wheel alignment and (I think they are called return rollers). Everything looks crooked and I dry-fitted and did all the tricks of the trade before glue. The arms where the wheels attach don't seem to run in a straight line, either. (I don't have a ton of experience in all resin kits, but this seems to be where a lot of the problems happen.) Is there something I can do about this? I am afraid to attach the wheels because I think they'll be all over the place. Any help here would be appreciated.

Oh, yeah, the directions - or lack-there-of- are awful. All that is in the box are shots of the pieces and lots of numbers and two shots of the painted and completed tank. You really need your reference for this guy. But the details scream in this kit and it cries out to test your weathering and airbrushing skils. Also, seems to me it will be a great fit for all the modern diorama sets out there now, like Mig's burnt out car, check point, etc.

Felix
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 11:58 PM UTC
Hi Felix thanks for sharing your experience

Quoted Text

But I will have to bathe it in warm water because the bottom and top hulls don't quite match up. Is this the best way to do that - the hot water thing?

It is quite good but you need to shape the parts quickly after removing them from the water otherwise they'll get their stiffness again. I prefer the hairdryer method, it could be longer but you you control the rpocess in a better way to me.

Quoted Text

My only other complaint about the kit as of now is the wheel alignment and (I think they are called return rollers). Everything looks crooked and I dry-fitted and did all the tricks of the trade before glue. The arms where the wheels attach don't seem to run in a straight line, either. (I don't have a ton of experience in all resin kits, but this seems to be where a lot of the problems happen.) Is there something I can do about this? I am afraid to attach the wheels because I think they'll be all over the place. Any help here would be appreciated.

That's a big problem with many resin kits especially knowing their weight when the hull is not hollow. First of all, I wash the kit to be sure the glue will set. Then I glue the first front arm or wheel and the rear last one. I do this on both sides. Then I continue gluing each arm or wheel with a ruler or a perfectly straight surface.

Quoted Text

Oh, yeah, the directions - or lack-there-of- are awful. All that is in the box are shots of the pieces and lots of numbers and two shots of the painted and completed tank. You really need your reference for this guy.

Unfortunately this is the general rule with Legend's instructions.

Could you post pics of your model ? This one is to be on my wishlist sooner or later.

Olivier
Chezzy
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 12:25 AM UTC
I enjoyed the kit, however, the tracks came broken up and it took sometime to piece them back together. The wheels were also a problem but eventually I managed to line them up. I have also bought the Mig burnt out car and plan to have it in a diorama along with the Merkerva IV and the Legend Puma I have already built - time and family permitting!!
 _GOTOTOP