_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
How to paint "rubber" tracks?
KCBuilder
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 83 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 09:55 AM UTC
Need some help here.

I am trying to finish a 1/35 Italeri Pz-38t tank and am on the "rubber" tracks. My first attempt at painting them faired poorly to say the least. I primed the tracks then painted them with a Tamiya's acrylic paints. When I started to bend tracks to put on the tank the paint started coming off in chips right down to the bare tracks.

So, I removed all the paint and primer and am now back down to the "rubber" tracks and have to start over.

I think my problem may be the primer but not sure. The primer is "The Armory Spray Primer" GG-SP2 Grey. It is meant for acrylic paints but (obviously) doesn't do well with bonding to these rubberized tracks.

What is the best combination of primer and paint so that this does not happen? I have read that some use Floquil paints because they "bite" more but still need help.

Thanks,

Marty
(KCBuilder)
CWatson
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 10:03 AM UTC
I recently painted a set of tracks with Krylon Fusion Satin Black paint. Fusion is suppose to bond to plastic and seems to have bonded well to the material the tracks are made of.

Another method I am considering is interior vinyl paint sold in auto parts stores.

CWatson
WARLORD
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 1,923 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 12:18 PM UTC
I have the same problem since I started to use acrylic paint instead of enamels. When I used enamels I think I didn't have such problems (at least I don't recall).
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 12:57 PM UTC
try this thread here for a detailed description.

HTH

Andy
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 02:19 PM UTC
I base coat vinyl tracks, with cheap matt black spraycan paint. Then weather the tracks with Humbrol enamels, oil washes, pigment, pastels and graphite, depending on what kind of look I what. Never had any problems with the paint coming of in chips.

Remember to wash the tracks, before painting them. Just a little soap an warm water, to make sure there aren't any release agent on the vinyl.
KCBuilder
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 09:21 PM UTC
Thanks all for the quick response. Will try out the suggestions.

Great site too! Been out of modeling for 15 years. Got back into it and am taking baby steps with all the new after market stuff and new products.

Marty
ws48
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 10:02 PM UTC
I had a similar problem with a set of vinyl tracks. I used an acrylic as a base coat because of color choice. I normally use enamels.

Acrylics adhere by clinging to the plastic substrate. Enamels adhere by attacking the plastic substrate and biting into it. Most models are made from polystyrene which accepts acrylics almost as well as enamels. Vinyl tracks are in part made with polypropylene or similar type of plastic to make them more flexible. Polypropylene is an oil derivative and makes it less than compatible with acrylics.

The suggestion to use Krylon Fusion is a good one. Fusion is a modified oil based enamel and adheres well to vinyls.

Genetk44
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 85 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 10:12 PM UTC
I always used Humbrol enamals, washes and pastels on rubberband tacks and never had a problem with it cracking or flakeing.
Cheers
Gene
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 10:46 PM UTC
I've had good success in airbrushing MM Metalizers as a base, burnt iron or gun metal are good choices. The "hotter" laquer base and ultra thin coat seem to adhere quite well.
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,349 posts
Armorama: 1,267 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 11:08 PM UTC
certain colors in the MM metalizer line stick to ANYTHING like there's no tomorrow.
johnnycanuk
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 03:08 AM UTC
A method I use to paint the soft plastic 1/72 figures is to prime them with LePage's water based contact cement (green lable). I spray it with my airbrush. After it is dry to the touch, I airbrush the white primer paint coat. After that, I can use a brush for the detail work. The contact cement sticks to the soft plastic and the paint will stick to the contact cement. I have found that it works very well for my wargame figures and it should work for tank tracks as the pastic appears to be similar. I am finishing a Challenger 2 and will use this method for those tracks and let you know how it turns out.
KCBuilder
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 07:28 AM UTC
Quick update. Picked up a can of Krylon Fusion Satin Black and painted the tracks with no problem. Have washed the tracks with a mixure of Isopropyl alcohol and reb brown Tamiya acrylic paint. Finally, dry brushed it with Tamiya gunmetal and then enamel silver on the very high points. It is drying for a couple of days and then will put on the tank and then try some pigments.

Thanks again.

Marty
 _GOTOTOP